1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with gravitation of forces

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two objects attract each other with a gravitational force of magnitude of 1*10^-8 N when separated by 20 cm. if the total mass of the two objects is 5kg, what is the mass of each.

2. Relevant equations
    Fg=G*m1*m2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i know everything that has to plugged into the equation, but the only part that is hard for me is that it gives you the total sum of the two objects and in the equation, you have to use the product of the masses. how can i change the formula to make it so that i can use the total sum instead of the product?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You seem to be stating it the wrong way round. You got the product, (you tell us)! You are given the sum!

From those two you should be able to work out m1 and m2.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3
    ok i see what you are saying but something just ain't clicking yet. i used what i was given to find the product of m1 and m2:

1x10^-8=(6.67x10^-11)(mtotal/.2^2)
    mtotal=5.997kg

so now i have the sum of the two masses and the product of the two.
    so if i took the square root of 5.997 you get 2.49 kg. if you add 2.45+2.45 you get 4.9. which is close to 5(prob just cause of round issues) so is that the right way?

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What you call "mtotal" is really m1*m2. So m1*m2 = 5.997 is one equation.

But you also know that: m1 + m2 = 5.

Combine those two equations.

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't checked your calculation, but if and when it is right you have got the product. And you already had the sum.

Write down what these two things are as two equations and you may see how to proceed.

7. Jan 19, 2009 #6
    alright i figured it out guys. thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?