Help with high school class selection

In summary, the individual is currently a freshman in high school and plans to take a rigorous course load in their sophomore and junior years, including advanced placement courses in math, science, and language. However, due to scheduling conflicts, they may not be able to take a fourth year of Spanish. They are concerned about how this may impact their chances of admission into selective colleges for computer science. It is recommended that they speak with their guidance counselor for advice. The impact of not taking a fourth year of Spanish will depend on the specific language requirements of the colleges they are applying to.
ish512
Hello, I am a current freshman in HS. Sophomore year I am registered to double up in math (AP Stat/Precalc) and am taking Honors Programming, the prereq to AP Computer Science at my school. I am also taking Spanish 3 next year, as well, as I took Spanish 1 for HS credit last year in middle school.

However, since my orchestra teacher wants me to stay in the Masterclass (I'm one of the better violas), I'm going to end up having a lot of class conflicts with taking a fourth year of Spanish my junior year. I am going to most likely take AP Lang, APUSH, AP Chem, AP Calc BC, APCS, and Masterclass HN that year, leaving me no space for a fourth year of Spanish.

I can't take another year senior year as well, since I'm going to need study halls in order to drive to my local university to take Vector Cal/DiffyQ that year.

How much will it hurt if me if I do not take 4 years of Spanish in high school? Can it be justified by taking APs in other subject areas [that I actually find interesting]? I'm interested to going to school at a place like GaTech, UIUC, or UMich AA, and want to do CS in college.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You should talk with your Guidance Counselor about the courses you want to take, if the course load is too much and whether taking them will hurt your chances.

Having said that, I don't think lack of Spanish credits will hurt you for Computer Science.

However, don't take my word for it see your counselor.

If you are not going to major in spanish in college, then how much of it you take in high school makes a difference only if the colleges you apply to or end up going to have a foreign language requirement for admission or graduation. Having only three versus four years might affect (a) your chances of admission at a very selective college (but I don't have any experience with this), and (b) which spanish course you get placed into when you arrive at college, or whether you place out of a language requirement completely. This sort of thing varies from one college to another.

(My wife teaches foreign languages at the college level, so I know a little about this second-hand, as it applies to a less-selective college.)

1. What classes should I take in high school to prepare for college?

The classes you should take in high school to prepare for college depend on your intended major and the requirements of the colleges you are interested in. Generally, it is recommended to take a strong foundation of core classes such as English, math, science, and social studies. Additionally, taking advanced classes in your intended major or related subjects can help demonstrate your interest and readiness for college-level work.

2. How many classes should I take in high school?

The number of classes you should take in high school varies depending on your school's requirements and your personal goals. On average, students take 6-8 classes per year, but some may take more or fewer depending on their academic level and extracurricular commitments. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself with too many classes.

3. Is it better to take honors or AP classes?

This depends on your personal strengths and goals. Honors classes offer a more challenging curriculum than regular classes, while AP classes offer college-level material and the opportunity to earn college credit. If you are confident in your academic abilities and want to challenge yourself, you may benefit from taking honors or AP classes. However, it is important to consider your workload and not take on more than you can handle.

4. Can I take classes outside of my high school?

Yes, many high schools offer opportunities for students to take classes at local community colleges or online. This can be a great way to explore subjects not offered at your high school or to get a head start on college credits. However, it is important to consult with your high school counselor and make sure the classes will transfer and fit into your graduation requirements.

5. How do I choose electives for high school?

When choosing electives for high school, it is important to consider your interests and goals. Electives can provide a break from your core classes and allow you to explore new subjects or hobbies. Consider taking electives that align with your intended major or that can help you develop important skills such as public speaking or computer programming. It is also a good idea to choose electives that challenge you and help you grow as a student.