1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Help with lenses for hand-made telescope

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    I'm trying to make a handmade telescope, but I'm stuck with the lenses I bought 2 lenses. they are the same
    "convex from one side and concave from the other side" like glasses lenses.

then I knew that I need a double convex for both the object lens and the eyepiece lens.
    so I decided to put the 2 lenses that I bought together to make a double convex lens so now air is in between the two lenses.

Is what I did going to give me a double convex lens?!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Mohab, :welcome:

I'm afraid not. Unless you fill up the hollow space in beteen with glass too ...
    Did you check if the two lenses have positive or negative focal distance ? (positive: they work as a magnifying glass, negative: things look smaller but stay upright).

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply BvU,

I've looked up to the moon with it, the moon appeared smaller, I think it has a negative focal distance.

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

meniscus lenses are fine to use; just be aware that the orientation does impact the total amount of aberrations.

What are the focal lengths of the lenses?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted