Help with limits of integration

In summary: No!In summary, Oscar tried to find the limits for r in a sphere using spherical polar coordinates, but got stuck on the right side of an inequality. He then found the limits using cylindrical coordinates and sketched a shape that looked like a cylinder.
2^Oscar
Hi guys,

I've been doing past paper questions for an exam and I've gotten stuck with the limits of an integral. We have to evaluate

[tex]\int\int\int _{\Omega} \frac{1}{(1+z)^2} dx dy dz[/tex]

where [tex]\Omega = \left\{ (x, y, z) : x^2 + y^2 \leq z^2 \leq 1 - x^2 - y^2, z \geq 0 \right\}[/tex]

using spherical polar coordinates. My problem is finding the limits for r (we use r, theta, phi in lectures), all I get is as far as this inequality [tex] r^2 sin^2 (\theta) \leq r^2 cos^2 (\theta) \leq 1- r^2 sin^2 (\theta) [/tex] and I'm unsure how to go on after this.

I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious, and I'll be fine once I know the limits, but would someone please explain how to proceed and find the limits for r?Cheers,
Oscar

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oscar! :smile:
2^Oscar said:
… all I get is as far as this inequality [tex] r^2 sin(\theta) \leq r^2 cos(\theta) \leq 1- r^2 sin(\theta) [/tex]

the right side would be correct if you used 2 :wink:

the left side is just y ≤ x :confused:

the best way to do this is to ask yourself what shape we're talking about …

try putting [itex]x^2 + y^2 = \rho^2[/itex]

now what is the shape? :smile:

Sorry about that I missed the squares out on the trig functions. I've corrected them to the inequality I actually got!

Wouldn't [itex]\rho^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2[/itex] though? I tried rearranging the inequality to use that but couldn't get very far. When I sketched the shape it was [itex] x^2 + y^2 [/itex] coming up and then meeting the same curve coming down from one and forming a kind of egg shape...
Thanks for the reply :)
Oscar

Last edited:
We usually use r = √(x2 + y2 + z2) in spherical coordinates, and ρ = √(x2 + y2) in cylindrical coordinates.

Try using ρ here, to see what the shape looks like. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
We usually use r = √(x2 + y2 + z2) in spherical coordinates, and ρ = √(x2 + y2) in cylindrical coordinates.

Try using ρ here, to see what the shape looks like. :smile:

Ahh I see, so in the new shape (a cylinder?) we'd have the limits [itex] \rho \leq z \leq \sqrt{1 - \rho^2}[/itex]?

2^Oscar said:
… in the new shape (a cylinder?)

No!

Try it with y = 0. :smile:

What are limits of integration?

Limits of integration refer to the upper and lower boundaries of an integral, which is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. These limits determine the range of values for which the integral will be evaluated.

Why is it important to understand limits of integration?

Understanding limits of integration is crucial for correctly solving integrals and accurately interpreting the results. It also helps in visualizing the area being calculated and determining the appropriate method for solving the integral.

How do I determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration can be determined by analyzing the problem or graph and identifying the points where the integral begins and ends. These points can be represented as values on the x-axis or as functions of x.

What happens if the limits of integration are incorrect?

If the limits of integration are incorrect, the integral will be evaluated for the wrong range of values and the result will be incorrect. This can lead to errors in calculations and misinterpretation of the area under the curve.

Are there any tips for finding the correct limits of integration?

One tip for finding the correct limits of integration is to carefully analyze the problem and visualize the area being calculated. It can also be helpful to sketch the graph and identify the points where the integral begins and ends. Practicing with different types of integrals can also improve the ability to determine the limits accurately.