1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with linear momentum conservation problem!

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    I have been screwing around with this problem for, I kid you not, almost four hours. Please walk me through to the answer... this is driving me crazy!

The problem:

A fireworks rocket is moving at a speed of 45.0 m/s. The rocket suddenly breaks into two pieces of equal mass, which fly off with velocities V1 (offset 30 degrees to the left of the initial flight path of the rocket) and V2 (offset 60 degrees to the right of the initial flight path of the rocket). What are the magnitudes of V1 and V2?

A step-by-step walkthrough would be enormously appreciated...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

As you named the thread, linear momentum is conserved. Linear momentum is a vector. So, if it is conserved, that means you can apply that fact in both directions. That makes two equations with two unknowns. Present your work if you get stuck.
  4. Oct 22, 2006 #3
    Have you tried to apply Conservation of Momentum? Remember that the final momentum of the system is equal to the initial momentum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?