Conservation of momentum: linear and angular

In summary, a uniform 4.00kg square solid wooden gate 2.00m on each side hangs vertically from a frictionless pivot at its upper edge. A 1.30kg raven flying horizontally at 4.50m/s flies into this door at its center and bounces back at 2.50m/s in the opposite direction.
henry3369

Homework Statement

A uniform 4.00kg square solid wooden gate 2.00m on each side hangs vertically from a frictionless pivot at its upper edge. A 1.30kg raven flying horizontally at 4.50m/s flies into this door at its center and bounces back at 2.50m/s in the opposite direction.

What is the angular speed of the gate just after it is struck by the unfortunate raven?

Homework Equations

L = Iα = r x mv
p = mv
Moment of inertia of a door = (1/3)MR2
Conservation of angular momentumγ

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to get the answer to this using conservation of momentum, but I was wondering if you can combine linear momentum and angular momentum.

For example, initially only the raven is moving which has linear momentum and finally, the raven and the door are moving:
mv = Iα + mv'

Or using only conservation of angular momentum:
(rxmv) = Iα + (rxmv')

In this situation the answers are the same because the raven hits the center of the door which is 1 meters from the axis of rotation (r = 1), but if the door had a different length, would I have to use the second conservation equation? Such as if the length of the door were 4 meters instead, r = 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking if it would be easier if you used conservation of energy.
loss of KE (bird's) = rotational kinetic energy, doesn't matter where the bird hits, in this case.

henry3369 said:
(rxmv) = Iα + (rxmv')
I hope you didn't forget to include the -ve sign for ## v'##

Suraj M said:
I hope you didn't forget to include the -ve sign for ## v'##
I didn't forget to negate the final velocity. If I wanted to use conservation of momentum, for doors with different lengths, would I have to use the second conservation of momentum equation?

Wait, I didn't notice
Your second equation looks to be dimensionally wrong! Do you think all the quantities in your equation have the same units?

Suraj M said:
Wait, I didn't notice
Your second equation looks to be dimensionally wrong! Do you think all the quantities in your equation have the same units?
The second equation is conservation of angular momentum = Iα = r x mv.

henry3369 said:
The second equation is conservation of angular momentum = Iα = r x mv.
It is dimensionally wrong...the LHS is the formula for torque which is nothing but the RATE of change of angular momentum. But your RHS has the units of just angular momentum.do you still think your equation is correct.

Suraj M said:
It is dimensionally wrong...the LHS is the formula for torque which is nothing but the RATE of change of angular momentum. But your RHS has the units of just angular momentum.do you still think your equation is correct.
Sorry, I mean't Iω

henry3369 said:
Sorry, I mean't Iω
Yeah, all good.
I'm starting to doubt if the energy method i mentioned in post #2, would it work? what do you think?

Suraj M said:
I was thinking if it would be easier if you used conservation of energy.
loss of KE (bird's) = rotational kinetic energy, doesn't matter where the bird hits, in this case.
It would not be valid to assume energy is conserved. Since the answer can be obtained by angular momentum considerations, you can calculate whether energy is conserved.
Henry, wrt the moment of inertia, you quote (1/3)mr2. What are you taking r to be there (looks like you are taking it as half the door height) and what axis are you using?

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force. In simpler terms, it means that the total amount of motion in a system remains the same, even if individual objects within the system exchange momentum.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the rotation of an object around an axis. Both types of momentum are conserved, but they are calculated and applied differently depending on the type of motion involved.

3. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is true for both elastic (where kinetic energy is conserved) and inelastic (where kinetic energy is not conserved) collisions.

4. What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force is directly related to the change in momentum of an object. This is described by Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum.

5. How does conservation of momentum apply to real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum has many applications in the real world, such as in sports, transportation, and engineering. For example, in sports like football or soccer, players use their momentum to move the ball and score goals. In transportation, the conservation of momentum is used in the design of cars and other vehicles to ensure they have enough momentum to overcome resistance and maintain steady motion. In engineering, the principle is applied in the design of machines and structures to ensure they can withstand external forces and maintain stability.