1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Isn't Linear Momentum Conserved?

1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin metal bar, 2.00 m and a mass of 9.18 kg hangs vertically from a ceiling by a frictionless pivot. Suddenly it is struck 1.50 m below the ceiling by a small 3.00 kg ball, initially travelling horizontally at 10.0 m/s. The ball rebounds in the opposite direction with a speed of 6.00 m/s.

(a) Find the angular speed of the bar just after the collision. ***The answer in the textbook is 5.88 rad/s, and that makes sense to me.***

(b) During the collision, why is the angular momentum conserved but not the linear momentum?

2. Relevant equations

m*v(initial)*l = Iω + m*v(final)*l

3. The attempt at a solution

I have absolutely no idea how this is possible. I was always taught that momentum is always conserved.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What are forces at the pivot point?

4. Mar 28, 2014 #3
    There are tension and gravity forces, but I don't understand how they would affect the linear momentum of the ball in the horizontal dimension.

5. Mar 28, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Does the pivot move? Why not?

6. Mar 28, 2014 #5
    It would be useful here to keep in mind what criteria need to be met for linear momentum to be conserved.

7. Mar 28, 2014 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Linear momentum is conserved (if you consider the whole system).

Linear momentum is not necessarily conserved (if you only consider part of the system).

E.g. bouncing ball: momentum conserved if you consider the Earth's momentum; momentum clearly not conserved if you consider the ball only.

8. Mar 28, 2014 #7
    Yeah, I should have knew that, thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted