1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Logistic growth problem

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all, I've got this logistic growth problem that I'm unsure of on how to start. I've read though the text book but it's just not clicking for me; I missed a day of class and don't have a chance to go to office hours, so any help would be much appreciated.

I've been given a set of values: time, population, and change in population.

The values are as follows, with each value correlation to each time value of course:

T=0.0, P=2.0, dP/dt=0.11
    T=37.71, P=14.0, dP/dt=0.62
    T=45.05, P=19.0, dP/dt=0.74
    T=57.45, P=29.0, dP/dt=0.84

I've been asked to predict population, P at T=10.

A point in the right direction would be great, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Probably you can do this looking at and playing with the numbers but I think it is not a good idea to do it without drawing three graphs.

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The differential equation, you will find, has dP/dt as a quadratic function of P. Since you have data values for P and dP/dt, you can use standard curve fitting (least squares) to find the coefficients (http://www.personal.psu.edu/jhm/f90/lectures/lsq2.html). You can then plug those into the solution of the differential equation to find P as a function of t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted