Help with logistic-like function

• Thread starter agentsanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Just remember to use parentheses and to keep everything on one line. In summary, you integrate dt and dP to find the solution to your differential equation.
agentsanta
Hey, I am doing a project on population growth modelling, and I have hit a brick wall in trying to derive a function to represent an aspect of my population

I understand that the derivative of a logistic function is
P'(t)=P(t)(1-P(t))

and from there one can obtain the function P(t)= 1/(1+e^(-t))

However, it seems that the logistic function is too simple for my purposes and I need a function with the following derivative

P'(t)=P(t)(1-P(t)) - P(t-a)(1-P(t-a)) where a is a constant

My problem is to find the function with the above derivative

Anyone have ideas?
I've literally sat down and stared at this thing for the last week and got nothing.

FYI I'm at a senior grade high school level

Physics news on Phys.org
agentsanta said:
Hey, I am doing a project on population growth modelling, and I have hit a brick wall in trying to derive a function to represent an aspect of my population

I understand that the derivative of a logistic function is
P'(t)=P(t)(1-P(t))

and from there one can obtain the function P(t)= 1/(1+e^(-t))

However, it seems that the logistic function is too simple for my purposes and I need a function with the following derivative

P'(t)=P(t)(1-P(t)) - P(t-a)(1-P(t-a)) where a is a constant

My problem is to find the function with the above derivative

Anyone have ideas?
I've literally sat down and stared at this thing for the last week and got nothing.

FYI I'm at a senior grade high school level

You've got a separable differential equation. dP/dt=P(1-P). You find a general solution by writing dP/(P(1-P))=dt and integrating both sides. Do the left side by parts. You have had calculus, right? How much do you know? If not enough, keep asking questions.

Hey
I'll try to digest what you said
Thanks for the reply though
I've only done enough calculus to barely understand what's going on
I haven't done integration by parts but I use wolframalpha for that XD

Thanks

Alright I tried what you suggested
...I have no idea what that is x.X

I know how to do integration and stuff but I've never integrated dt or dP before

Any tips?
Or am I biting off more than I can chew and should simplify my model?

x -> dx
t -> dt
P -> dP

You can use for your variable any symbol you want. There are no separate rules for dx, dt, dP - it is exactly the same integration.

1. What is a logistic-like function?

A logistic-like function is a type of mathematical function that is commonly used in statistics and data analysis. It is a type of sigmoid function, meaning it has an S-shaped curve, and it is often used to model growth or decay processes.

2. How is a logistic-like function different from a logistic function?

A logistic-like function is similar to a logistic function in that both have an S-shaped curve. However, a logistic-like function allows for more flexibility in the shape of the curve, while a logistic function has a fixed shape.

3. What are some real-life applications of logistic-like functions?

Logistic-like functions are commonly used in fields such as biology, economics, and epidemiology to model growth and decay processes. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to model binary classification problems.

4. How do you determine the parameters of a logistic-like function?

The parameters of a logistic-like function can be determined by fitting the function to a set of data points using a statistical method such as least squares regression. The resulting parameters will then be used to describe the curve that best fits the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using logistic-like functions?

While logistic-like functions can be useful in many applications, they have some limitations. For example, they may not accurately model processes with abrupt changes, such as sudden population growth. Additionally, they may not be suitable for datasets with a small number of data points or outliers.