Help with multiple choice question

In summary, the method find will only work as intended if the tree is a binary search tree and the target occurs no more than once in the tree. This is because the method uses getLeft() and getRight() which indicate it is meant for binary search trees, and if the target occurs more than once, it could return either of the pointers.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Which is true about the method find?

//Return TreeNode with target value, or null if target not found
public static TreeNode find(TreeNode root, Comparable target)
{
if(root == null)
return null;
else if(target.compareTo(root.getValue()) == 0)
return root;
else if(target.compareTo(root.getValue()) < 0)
return find(root.getLeft(), target);
else
return find(root.getRight(), target);
}

A) Method find will never work as intended
B) Method find will always work as intended
C) Method find will only work as intended if target is not in the tree.
D) Method find will always work as intended if the tree is a binary search tree
E) Method find will only work as intended if the tree is a binary search tree and target occurs no more than once in the tree

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose E. Since it uses methods getLeft() and getRight(), it appears to work only for binary search trees. Also, it target occurred twice, it could return one of two pointers right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll agree with you and for the same reasons.

Your response is correct. Method find will only work as intended if the tree is a binary search tree and the target occurs no more than once in the tree. This is because the method uses the compareTo() method to compare the target value with the value of each node in the tree, and the compareTo() method is only reliable for binary search trees where values are sorted in a specific order. If the target occurs more than once in the tree, the method may return the wrong node.

1. What is the best way to approach a multiple choice question?

The best way to approach a multiple choice question is to read the question carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, read each answer option thoroughly and eliminate any obviously incorrect choices. Finally, use any strategies or techniques that have worked for you in the past, such as process of elimination or using context clues, to select the best answer.

2. How can I improve my accuracy in answering multiple choice questions?

One way to improve your accuracy in answering multiple choice questions is to practice regularly. This will help you become familiar with the format and types of questions typically asked. Additionally, pay close attention to keywords and phrases in the question and answer options, as they can provide clues to the correct answer. Finally, if you are unsure about an answer, trust your instincts and avoid second-guessing yourself.

3. What should I do if I am running out of time during a multiple choice exam?

If you find yourself running out of time during a multiple choice exam, prioritize answering the questions you know first. Then, go back and try to answer the remaining questions. If you are still unsure of an answer, it is better to make an educated guess than to leave it blank. Remember to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on any one question.

4. Can I use any strategies to help me answer multiple choice questions more efficiently?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help you answer multiple choice questions more efficiently. One common strategy is to read the question first and then skim the answer options to see if any stand out as incorrect. Another strategy is to eliminate any choices that are obviously incorrect and then use your knowledge and reasoning to select the best answer from the remaining options. Additionally, if allowed, you could mark questions that you are unsure about and come back to them later.

5. How can I avoid getting tricked by tricky multiple choice questions?

To avoid getting tricked by tricky multiple choice questions, make sure you read each question and answer option carefully. Pay attention to keywords, such as "except," "not," or "always," as they can change the meaning of a question. Also, be cautious of answer options that are too broad or too specific, as they are often incorrect. Finally, trust your knowledge and don't overthink the question or try to find hidden meanings.