Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Octave, installing package

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    Hey, I need some help with installing a package in Octave. I have never done this before so I'm not sure what I am doing wronge. I have downloaded econometrics, changed directory and typed:
    "pkg install econometrics-1.0.7.tar.gz" and I get

"""warning: implicit conversion from matrix to string
    error: couldn't delete directory C:\Program Files\Octave\share\octave\packages\e
    conometrics-1.0.7: Permission denied
    error: called from `pkg:uninstall' in file C:\Program Files\Octave\share\octave\
    3.0.3\m\pkg\pkg.m near line 930, column 2"""

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    You could try your package manager -Yum, Synaptic, YaST....- and search into repositories. It seems your problem is about permissions of the file and you can try chmod command. Anyway, you should give more information:

What distro are you using?
    Version?
    Hardware (RAM, processor...)?

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    Thanks for answearing, but I'm not sure what you mean with:

"You could try your package manager -Yum, Synaptic, YaST....- and search into repositories. It seems your problem is about permissions of the file and you can try chmod command."

I am new to Octave and I don't know much about computers in general.

I have Windows Vista, 3 GB ram, AMD Turion x2 64 2,1 GHz and using Octave 3.0.3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook