Help with Octave, installing package

• Thread starter MaxManus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Octave
In summary, the person is having trouble installing a package in Octave and is receiving an error about permissions. They are using Windows Vista with 3 GB of RAM and an AMD Turion x2 64 2.1 GHz processor. They are not familiar with computer terminology and are seeking further assistance.
MaxManus
Hey, I need some help with installing a package in Octave. I have never done this before so I'm not sure what I am doing wronge. I have downloaded econometrics, changed directory and typed:
"pkg install econometrics-1.0.7.tar.gz" and I get

"""warning: implicit conversion from matrix to string
error: couldn't delete directory C:\Program Files\Octave\share\octave\packages\e
conometrics-1.0.7: Permission denied
error: called from `pkg:uninstall' in file C:\Program Files\Octave\share\octave\
3.0.3\m\pkg\pkg.m near line 930, column 2"""

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try your package manager -Yum, Synaptic, YaST...- and search into repositories. It seems your problem is about permissions of the file and you can try chmod command. Anyway, you should give more information:

What distro are you using?
Version?
Hardware (RAM, processor...)?

Thanks for answearing, but I'm not sure what you mean with:

"You could try your package manager -Yum, Synaptic, YaST...- and search into repositories. It seems your problem is about permissions of the file and you can try chmod command."

I am new to Octave and I don't know much about computers in general.

I have Windows Vista, 3 GB ram, AMD Turion x2 64 2,1 GHz and using Octave 3.0.3

1. How do I install a package in Octave?

To install a package in Octave, you can use the pkg install command followed by the name of the package. For example, pkg install signal will install the "signal" package.

2. What if the package I want to install is not available in Octave's default repository?

If the package you want is not available in Octave's default repository, you can search for it in the Octave Forge repository, which contains a larger selection of packages. To install a package from Octave Forge, you can use the pkg install -forge command followed by the name of the package. For example, pkg install -forge statistics will install the "statistics" package from Octave Forge.

3. How can I check which packages are already installed in Octave?

To check which packages are already installed in Octave, you can use the pkg list command. This will display a list of all the packages currently installed in Octave.

4. Can I install multiple packages at once in Octave?

Yes, you can install multiple packages at once in Octave by separating the names of the packages with a space after the pkg install command. For example, pkg install io statistics signal will install the "io", "statistics", and "signal" packages at the same time.

5. How can I update a package in Octave?

To update a package in Octave, you can use the pkg update command followed by the name of the package. For example, pkg update signal will update the "signal" package to its latest version. You can also use pkg update without specifying a package name to update all installed packages in Octave.