Help installing Java on Windows XP

In summary, to install Java on a home PC for a Java programming class, the website recommends going to the SUN Java Web site and downloading the J2EE1.4SDK for Windows/Linux/Solaris. However, there is no download link on the page and instead a message stating that the version has reached the end of its service life. After some confusion, the person realizes they need to download the newer version from the Download tab, but is unsure which option to choose. After downloading and installing, specific directories should be created, including the bin directory with javac.exe and java.exe. The person eventually figures it out on their own.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm taking a class on Java programming. I'd like to install Java on my home PC. According to our class' website I am supposed to
Go to SUN Java Web site located at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
Download J2EE1.4SDK for Windows/Linus/Solaris
But there is no download link on this page. There is a message on that page that says
On October 30, 2008 J2SE 1.4.2 reached the end of its service life (EOSL). Customers interested in learning more about Sun's Java Technology Support and EOL policy »Read More
I don't want to learn more. I just simply want to install Java. If this is their cryptic way of saying that there is a newer version, I'd like to know where the newer version is. There is a Download tab on this page. When I choose it, I'm given many different options. I don't know which one to choose, or even if the one I need is listed there. Downloading my best guess didn't give me what I need. Ultimately, according to our class website, after downloading and installing, I'm supposed to end up with the following directories
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_xx\bin
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_xx\demo
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_xx\include
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_xx\jre
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_xx\lib
with the bin directory containing javac.exe and java.exe
Can anyone help me?

Technology news on Phys.org
I figured it out. nevermind :)

Related to Help installing Java on Windows XP

1. How do I install Java on Windows XP?

To install Java on Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Java website and click on the "Download" button for the latest version of Java.

2. Once the download is complete, double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process.

3. Follow the prompts to complete the installation, making sure to select the option to install Java for all users on the system.

4. Once the installation is complete, you can verify it by going to the Control Panel and opening the Java applet. You should see the version of Java that you just installed listed under the "General" tab.

2. Is Java compatible with Windows XP?

Yes, Java is compatible with Windows XP. However, as Windows XP is an outdated operating system, some versions of Java may not be supported. It is recommended to use the latest version of Java that is compatible with Windows XP.

3. Do I need to uninstall previous versions of Java before installing on Windows XP?

It is not necessary to uninstall previous versions of Java before installing on Windows XP. The newer version will automatically overwrite the older version during installation. However, if you encounter any issues, it is recommended to uninstall all previous versions of Java before installing the latest version.

4. Can I still use Java on Windows XP after support has ended?

Yes, you can still use Java on Windows XP after support has ended. However, as Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, it may pose security risks to your system. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer operating system for better security.

5. How do I update Java on Windows XP?

To update Java on Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Java website and click on the "Download" button for the latest version of Java.

2. Once the download is complete, double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process.

3. Follow the prompts to complete the installation, making sure to select the option to update Java for all users on the system.

4. Once the update is complete, you can verify it by going to the Control Panel and opening the Java applet. You should see the updated version of Java listed under the "General" tab.