Help with plastic bridge design

In summary: It is generally a good idea to reinforce the weakest points in a design. By reinforcing the two pipes that make up the main span, you will help to ensure that the bridge will hold more weight.
Tesla42
I am in a high school Precalculus class. We are about to have a project where we build bridges with PVC and twine. The goal is to hold as much weight as possible.

For this project, I believe we will be given 28 feet of PVC, a roll of twine, and 5 or 6 days to design and construct our bridges. Also, I think we are designing arch bridges, where there is a main part and a parabola rising above it on each side. Another constraint to the design is that the main portion has to be a certain, so far unstated length in order to reach two blocks so that it can be loaded with weight.

All that said, the purpose in this thread was to receive input from the experts that frequent this website. My teacher told us to do as much research as possible, so I am asking you as well as searching for online resources regarding bridge building.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for my inattention to the categories on this forum and my misplaced entry. This would definitely fall under the category of coursework and should be designated as such.

Also, my ideas regarding this bridge are relatively simple right now. I only know that I am going to place two arches and that there will be several lengths of pipe going across the main structure to better handle the stresses that it will go through.

To put into perspective how much this design needs to hold, the top bridge from last year held 292.5 pounds, and that was with 4 fewer feet of plastic. This is around the amount that I want my bridge to hold so that I can get a good grade.

I will be back with some more specific ideas later after researching more about how bridges are designed.

Never built one from PVC only balsawood. I would experiment with methods of jointing. For example think about how you might make triangles out of PVC pipe. It's a lot easier to lash together rough wooden poles than smooth PVC tubes. Can you drill holes in the pipe or are there other restrictions?

Perhaps also find out how they plan to load the weight onto the bridge (eg point loading in the middle or nice uniform distribution?).

We have to build it out of PVC, or at least some type of plastic that is similar. Whatever it is, it is very flexible.

We are allowed to drill holes in the pipes, so connecting joints is far more feasible. Also, I am not sure about how the load will be distributed, but am I correct in assuming that a load more distributed along the span of the bridge would be preferable to a huge load in the bridge's center?

I have formulated a design but I have quite a bit of leftover pipe. Would it be useful or a waste to use the leftover pipe to reinforce the two pipes that form the main span? If it would be a waste, what would be a better suggestion?

1. How do I choose the right material for my plastic bridge?

Choosing the right material for your plastic bridge design depends on several factors, including the weight of the load it needs to support, the span of the bridge, the environmental conditions it will face, and the budget for the project. Some common materials used for plastic bridges include PVC, polycarbonate, and acrylic. Consulting with a materials expert can help you determine the best option for your specific project.

2. What is the best design for a plastic bridge?

The best design for a plastic bridge will depend on the specific needs and constraints of your project. Some common designs for plastic bridges include truss bridges, beam bridges, and arch bridges. Consider factors such as the weight of the load, the span of the bridge, and the materials available when choosing the best design for your plastic bridge.

3. How do I ensure the structural integrity of my plastic bridge?

To ensure the structural integrity of your plastic bridge, it is important to carefully consider the load it needs to support and the materials used in its construction. You should also conduct thorough testing and analysis to ensure that the bridge can withstand the expected stresses and forces it will face. Consulting with a structural engineer can also help ensure the safety and integrity of your plastic bridge.

4. Can I use recycled plastic for my bridge design?

Yes, it is possible to use recycled plastic for your bridge design. However, it is important to carefully consider the quality and strength of the recycled plastic before using it in a structural application. Consulting with a materials expert and conducting thorough testing can help ensure that the recycled plastic is suitable for your bridge design.

5. How do I determine the load capacity of a plastic bridge?

The load capacity of a plastic bridge will depend on several factors, including the materials used, the design of the bridge, and the environmental conditions it will face. Conducting thorough testing and analysis can help determine the load capacity of your plastic bridge. Consulting with a structural engineer can also provide valuable insights and recommendations for ensuring the load capacity of your bridge.