Help designing a bridge rectifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's first project which involves designing an AC to DC power supply with a short time period. The professor has provided specifications such as a 5% ripple factor, 1V DC output voltage, and a 220Vrms with a 60hz source. The speaker used Multism and the formulas from a reference book to determine the necessary components for the power supply. However, there seems to be an issue with the output voltage. The conversation then shifts to the possibility of using a linear voltage regulator to achieve the desired output voltage.
George317
this is my very first project, and we haven't even tackled this lesson yet, but the time period is really short so i want to start ahead as early as i can and read some reference books about it.

my proffessor wants me to design an AC to DC power supply with the specifications of
ripple 5%, DC output voltage of 1V, and 220Vrms with 60hz source

i then used Multism and made a bridge rectifier and used the formulas to know what amount of capacitance etc.. that i need to get my proff's specifications.

i used this example from floyd's book as a guideline..
https://imgur.com/xTmz6bt

heres what i did.

Vpeakprimary = 1.414(220) = 311.08V
then use 10:1 step-down transformer
Vpeaksecondary = 0.1(311.08) = 31.108
the unfiltered peak full-wave rectified voltage = 31.108V - 1.4V= 29.708 V

since i need 5% ripple factor and 1volt dc output i wanted to know how much is the capacitance that i need(C)

0.05 = [ 1 / (120hz) (1000ohm) (C) ] (29.708) /1 V
which gave me 4951uF.

i strapped those values in the bridge rectifier i made in multism and I'm getting 29.376V when i measured my load resistor, but i need 1 volt output..

heres a picutre of the circuit i made:
https://imgur.com/GHnL6vW

can you guys tell me which parts did i do wrong?

Attachments

• GHnL6vW.png
    GHnL6vW.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 488
Engineering news on Phys.org
George317 said:
this is my very first project, and we haven't even tackled this lesson yet, but the time period is really short so i want to start ahead as early as i can and read some reference books about it.

my proffessor wants me to design an AC to DC power supply with the specifications of
ripple 5%, DC output voltage of 1V, and 220Vrms with 60hz source

i then used Multism and made a bridge rectifier and used the formulas to know what amount of capacitance etc.. that i need to get my proff's specifications.

i used this example from floyd's book as a guideline..
https://imgur.com/xTmz6bt

heres what i did.

Vpeakprimary = 1.414(220) = 311.08V
then use 10:1 step-down transformer
Vpeaksecondary = 0.1(311.08) = 31.108
the unfiltered peak full-wave rectified voltage = 31.108V - 1.4V= 29.708 V

since i need 5% ripple factor and 1volt dc output i wanted to know how much is the capacitance that i need(C)

which gave me 4951uF.

i strapped those values in the bridge rectifier i made in multism and I'm getting 29.376V when i measured my load resistor, but i need 1 volt output..

heres a picutre of the circuit i made:
https://imgur.com/GHnL6vW

can you guys tell me which parts did i do wrong?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

So you are not allowed to use a linear voltage regulator at the output to smooth the DC? You have to achieve that ripple at 1Vdc output with only the rectification and output smoothing capacitor?

And what load current range is this supposed to meet the specs over? That makes a big difference in how you size your output components.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

So you are not allowed to use a linear voltage regulator at the output to smooth the DC? You have to achieve that ripple at 1Vdc output with only the rectification and output smoothing capacitor?

And what load current range is this supposed to meet the specs over? That makes a big difference in how you size your output components.
thanks very much.

my proff didn't prohibit using anything as long as we can achieve the specification. i don't actually know about a voltage regulator :D all the bridge rectifiers i saw in the book were just comprised of transformer diode capacitor and the load resistor, so i simply tried to copy that in Multism hoping it'd work.

my prof said that its up to us to decide the output current.

tnx

George317 said:
thanks very much.

my proff didn't prohibit using anything as long as we can achieve the specification. i don't actually know about a voltage regulator :D all the bridge rectifiers i saw in the book were just comprised of transformer diode capacitor and the load resistor, so i simply tried to copy that in Multism hoping it'd work.

my prof said that its up to us to decide the output current.

tnx
Try doing a Google Images search on LM317 Circuits, and take a look at what a typical circuit with an adjustable linear output regulator looks like. Then do some reading about that LM317 Adjustable Linear Voltage Regulator (and see is there is a model for it in your simulation package), and go from there...

Show us what you come up with next :smile:

BTW, funny coincidence that your username is @George317 :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Try doing a Google Images search on LM317 Circuits, and take a look at what a typical circuit with an adjustable linear output regulator looks like. Then do some reading about that LM317 Adjustable Linear Voltage Regulator (and see is there is a model for it in your simulation package), and go from there...

Show us what you come up with next :smile:
oh wow. it worked like a charm, i simply plugged it in and its giving me the output that i need. thanks so very much.

if i may ask though, I am curious to why i wasn't able to get my desired voltage when there's no voltage regulator. because i actually plugged in the values from an example in the book http://imgur.com/xTmz6bt and i was able to get his calculated output voltage even though i wasnt using any voltage regulator back then.

again thank you very much for your help.

George317 said:
if i may ask though, I am curious to why i wasn't able to get my desired voltage when there's no voltage regulator. because i actually plugged in the values from an example in the book http://imgur.com/xTmz6bt and i was able to get his calculated output voltage even though i wasnt using any voltage regulator back then.
You used a 10:1 transformer and a 220V supply, which produces a peak voltage of 31.1 V. The peak voltage after the bridge rectifier is 29.7 V. This will also be the maximum voltage of your supply. The capacitor can in no way reduce the voltage that the bridge rectifier outputs, it can only prop up the voltage when the output of the bridge rectifier is lower than that on the capacitor.
If you want a 1V supply with 5% ripple you want the voltage of your supply to be between 0.975 and 1.025 V, so the output of the bridge rectifier can't be more than 1.025V.

Real world power supplies will always have some kind of voltage regulation. You will still need to control the ripple before the input of the voltage regulator, because that will have a minimum input voltage.

George317 said:

Out of interest, what formula is this? I can't see the link clearly.

1. What is a bridge rectifier and how does it work?

A bridge rectifier is an electronic circuit used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It consists of four diodes arranged in a specific configuration that allows current to flow in only one direction, producing a pulsating DC output.

2. What components are needed to design a bridge rectifier?

The main components needed to design a bridge rectifier are four diodes, a transformer, and a load (such as a resistor or capacitor) to connect to the output. Optional components may include a smoothing capacitor to reduce the ripple in the output and a heat sink to dissipate heat from the diodes.

3. How do I choose the appropriate diodes for my bridge rectifier?

The diodes used in a bridge rectifier must have a high enough voltage and current rating to handle the input from the transformer. It is also important to select diodes with a low forward voltage drop to minimize power loss and heat generation.

4. Can I use a bridge rectifier for different input and output voltages?

Yes, a bridge rectifier can be designed for a wide range of input and output voltages. The transformer and diodes used must be selected to match the desired voltage levels, and a smoothing capacitor may be necessary to reduce ripple in the output.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing a bridge rectifier?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity and electronic components. This includes using proper insulation, grounding, and avoiding contact with live wires. It is also important to choose components with appropriate voltage and current ratings to prevent damage or malfunction.