Help with pool ball pyramid problem

In summary: I don't understand.In summary, the spheres have a coefficient of friction of at least (rad(3)-rad(2))/4 and the weight of the top sphere is the only one disrupting equilibrium.
Blade707
Three identical spheres lie in contact with one another on a horizontal plane. A fourth
sphere rests on them, touching all three. Show that, in equilibrium, the coefficient of
friction between the spheres is at least (rad(3)-rad(2)) and that the coefficient between each sphere and the plane is at least (rad(3)-rad(2))/4

The only thing I can think to use here is summing forces. But woah, I am so stuck. Do I have the right idea even? Any help would be appreciated it!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats pretty intense!
I'm having trouble conceptualizing why there has to be any friction between the spheres... but i think i can help with the second part:
The weight of the top sphere is the only one disrupting equilibrium right? i.e. no top sphere, no motion (even without friction).
How much top sphere (TS) weight is on each bottom sphere (BS)?
How much is parallel to the plane they're resting on?
How much friction is required to balance that - keeping them all stationary?

Uh I'm having troubles grasping this. Ok so using what you said before about the second part, I summed forces on one ball.

(1) In the x: (mg/3)cos(theta)=N(cf) mg/3 is the weight of the top ball on the bottom sphere, N is the normal force at floor, and (cf) is my coefficient of friction.

(2) In the y: N=mgsin(theta)+mg

Putting (2) into (1):
(mg/3)cos(theta)=(cf)(mgsin(theta)+mg)
reduced:
cf=cos(theta)/(3sin(theta)+3)

Is this the right equation to work with? If I knew what angle to put in anyway!

Those look correct.
As for theta... that's just a little geometry.
The pyramid will be a tetrahedron, I'm sure you can look up or derive the angle somehow... I'm terrible with 3d geo.

Yeah I'm awful at it as well I found some angles online like 55 degrees and 71 degrees but neither of them get me to the correct answer given in the question. could it be because I need another force for the friction between the top ball and bottom ball? If so I just get more lost because in introduces a new cf

1. How do I arrange the pool balls in a pyramid shape?

To arrange the pool balls in a pyramid shape, start by placing the 15 balls in a triangle formation with the apex pointing towards you. Then, add the remaining balls in layers on top of the triangle, with each layer being one ball shorter than the layer below it. Finally, place the cue ball at the top of the pyramid.

2. What is the best strategy for breaking the pool ball pyramid?

The best strategy for breaking the pool ball pyramid is to aim for the center of the triangle. This will allow the balls to scatter in different directions, increasing the chances of pocketing one or more balls on the break.

3. How many combinations are there for sinking all the pool balls in the pyramid?

There are over 1.3 million possible combinations for sinking all the pool balls in the pyramid. This number increases if you consider combinations that involve using the rails to pocket the balls.

4. What is the probability of sinking the 8-ball on the break in the pool ball pyramid?

The probability of sinking the 8-ball on the break in the pool ball pyramid is approximately 1 in 224. This can vary depending on factors such as the force and angle of the break, as well as the condition of the pool table.

5. Are there any techniques for improving my accuracy in the pool ball pyramid problem?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help improve accuracy in the pool ball pyramid problem. These include using a consistent stroke, keeping your body still, and practicing different break patterns to find what works best for you.