Help with protecting cylinder rods

• Thread starter corvairbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with weld slag getting caught in the area of a robotic welding machine's cylinder rod. The repairman suggested making the hole larger to allow the slag to fall out, but the engineer suggested making it smaller to prevent the slag from entering. The repairman also suggested using bellows to shield the rods, and asked for suggestions on where to find ones that can withstand weld slag. They recommended contacting a hydraulic repair shop or searching on Google.
corvairbob
i'm a machine repairman and the machines i repair are robotic welding machine. one of the problems we are having is weld slag/expulsion getting caught in the area the cylinder rod moves between the mount and the rod. i tell the engineer to make the hole larger to allow the slag to fall out he says make it smaller to prevent the slag from entering. i tell him to locate some type of bellows to shield the rods. can anyone help me out here. make the holes larger / smaller or where may i look for bellows the can withstand the weld slag and keep that area clean? thanks for any ideas. bob p.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hydraulic cylinders where a major problem in my last job. After redesigning and repairing thousands of them over 25 years, I've come to the conclusion that only about 5% of all the engineers who design cylinders know how to do that correctly. Or else they do understand, but their design objective is to cause them to fail shortly after the warranty expires.

I’ve bought many bellows from a hydraulic repair shop that did most of our work. They come in different flavors, some of them heat resistant. Call up one of the larger shops in your area and put the question to them. Failing that, Google is a good backup plan.

1. How can I prevent corrosion on cylinder rods?

To prevent corrosion on cylinder rods, it is important to use corrosion-resistant materials such as stainless steel or chrome-plated rods. Regular cleaning and lubrication can also help to minimize the risk of corrosion.

2. What type of seal is best for protecting cylinder rods?

The type of seal used for protecting cylinder rods will depend on the specific application and operating conditions. Generally, lip seals or wiper seals are recommended for preventing external contaminants from entering the cylinder and damaging the rod.

3. What is the purpose of a rod boot in cylinder protection?

A rod boot, also known as a rod wiper, is designed to protect the exposed portion of the cylinder rod from dirt, debris, and moisture. It helps to prolong the life of the cylinder by preventing contaminants from entering and potentially causing damage.

4. How can I prevent scratches and dents on cylinder rods?

To prevent scratches and dents on cylinder rods, it is important to handle them carefully during installation and operation. Using proper mounting techniques and avoiding contact with sharp objects can also help to minimize damage to the rods.

5. What maintenance is required for cylinder rod protection?

Regular maintenance is essential for ensuring the ongoing protection of cylinder rods. This can include regular cleaning, inspection for damage or wear, and replacement of seals or boots as needed. It is also important to regularly check the condition of the rod surface for any signs of corrosion or damage.