Help with proving a trigonometric identity

In summary, the problem is to prove that (Sin[A] Sin[2 A] + Sin[3 A] Sin[6 A])/(Sin[A] Cos[2 A] + Sin[3 A] Cos[6 A]) is identical to tan[5A]. The solution involves using the factor formulae and multiplying by 2 before simplifying the terms to get sin5A/cos5A, which is identical to tan5A. The person who solved it found great satisfaction in proving the identity and is still young and exploring the depths of mathematics.
kenshaw93
Hi I've got this problem which has really been bothering me.

How are you supposed to prove that:
(Sin[A] Sin[2 A] + Sin[3 A] Sin[6 A])/(Sin[A] Cos[2 A] + Sin[3 A] Cos[6 A]) is identicle to tan[5A].

I am almost sure that I've got to use the factor formulae, but I've had no luck. Maybe someone can help me please :)
Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
kenshaw93 said:
Hi I've got this problem which has really been bothering me.

How are you supposed to prove that:
(Sin[A] Sin[2 A] + Sin[3 A] Sin[6 A])/(Sin[A] Cos[2 A] + Sin[3 A] Cos[6 A]) is identicle to tan[5A].

I am almost sure that I've got to use the factor formulae, but I've had no luck. Maybe someone can help me please :)
Thank you for your time!

Try to "de-factor".
For instance, Sin(A)Sin(2A)=Sin(2A)Sin(A).
Recalling the identity that Cos S + Cos T = ?

Ok i found out how to work it out. i first multiply by 2 throughout. then i used the factor formulae until i end up with the terms :

2sin5A sin4A / 2sin4Acos5A which is identicle to sin5A/cos5A which is identicle to tan5A...PROVED!

The satisfaction of proving an identity or equation is rather incredible!

yea! Great sense of satisfaction. you are turning 17 this year?

haha indeed i am, still young i guess, just scratching the surface of mathematics. The subject really gets you thinking

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is always true for all values of the variables involved. It is used to establish a relationship between different trigonometric functions.

2. Why do we need to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities helps us to deepen our understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions and to solve more complex trigonometric equations.

3. What are some techniques for proving trigonometric identities?

Some common techniques for proving trigonometric identities include using algebraic manipulation, using trigonometric identities and properties, and using the double and half angle formulas.

4. How do you know if a trigonometric identity is true?

A trigonometric identity can be proven to be true by showing that both sides of the equation simplify to the same expression. This can be done through algebraic manipulation or by substituting in values for the variables.

5. What are some tips for successfully proving a trigonometric identity?

Some tips for proving trigonometric identities include starting with the more complex side of the equation, simplifying both sides separately, and using known identities and properties to manipulate the expressions. It is also helpful to be familiar with common trigonometric identities and to practice regularly to improve your skills.