1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a Trigonometric Identity

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that:

[itex] \cos^6{(x)} + \sin^6{(x)} = \frac{5}{8} + \frac{3}{8} \cos{(4x)} [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I am not sure. I used factoring a sum of cubes.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried [itex] \cos^6{(x)} + \sin^6{(x)} = \cos^4{(x)} - \cos^2{(x)} \sin^2{(x)} + \sin^4{(x)} [/itex]. But I can't get anywhere beyond this; I must be missing something obvious.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sounds good to me! Now, you might try factoring "[itex]cos^2(x)[/itex] out of the first two terms: [itex]cos^2(x)(cos^2(x)- sin^2(x))+ sin^4(x)= cos^2(x)cos(2x)- sin^4(x)[/itex] see where you can go from that.

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Id normally just throw the euler formula at these things ... unless I had an already proved identity I could use.

5. Feb 28, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Although, x2 - xy + y2 cannot be factored (over the reals), x4 - x2 y2 + y4 can be factored .

?temp_hash=b75c0db53c508443bfe392e61d61b0d2.gif

Attached Files:

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rather than attacking the LHS of the identity, I would prefer to look at the expression cos (4x) instead. The multiple angle formulas for cosine I think would be more helpful here than trying to factor polynomials.

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 4x on the right, and the 8s in the denominators, are strong clues. Do you know how to expand cos(2x) in terms of cos(x) and sin(x)? Just apply that (in reverse) a couple of times.

Edit... SteamKing's (equivalent) post wasn't there when I hit reply, even though it seems to have been made hours earlier. Strange.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted