Help with PVP-I & DMSO solution

• Thread starter Giuseppechimico
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to make a solution described in a published study that uses a low-dose formulation of 1% Povidone-Iodine in a solution containing dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). The person is trying to interpret the solution correctly and is wondering if they can obtain both a 44% DMSO solution and a 1% PVP-I solution. They have a limited understanding and are concerned about the safety of using DMSO as a solvent. However, the study cited shows that it has been used safely at these doses.
Giuseppechimico
TL;DR Summary
Need to prepare the following solution taken from a published study:
"1% povidone–iodine solution in a liquid vehicle system that included 44% USP-grade DMSO"
Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a solution described in a published study but I am not sure on how to interpret it correctly:

"We have been using a low-dose formulation of 1% Povidone-Iodine (w/w) in a solution containing dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)...
"1% povidone–iodine solution in a liquid vehicle system that included 44% USP-grade DMSO"Now I can easily find pure liquid DMSO but only a 100mL of 10% w/v Povidone-Iodine (PVP-I).

Based on my (limited..) understanding, I assume I could obtain a 44% DMSO solution by adding 78,57 mL of DMSO to the 100mL of 10% PVI (78,57/(100+78,57)).
On the other hand the PVP-I concentration in this new solution would drop to 5,6% (10mg/178,57).

Is that correct?
Is there a way I can obtain both 44% DMSO and 1% PVP-I ?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
modify_inline.gif

Chemistry news on Phys.org
SAFETY ALERT: DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is a solvent that can instantly carry its solutes transcutaneously (through the skin) ##-## iodine and iodides is/are or may be highly toxic ##-## please be extremely careful about mixing anything with DMSO . . .

What is PVP-I & DMSO solution?

PVP-I & DMSO solution is a mixture of two compounds, povidone-iodine (PVP-I) and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). PVP-I is an antiseptic and disinfectant, while DMSO is a solvent with anti-inflammatory properties. This solution is commonly used for wound care and as a topical treatment for skin conditions.

How does PVP-I & DMSO solution work?

PVP-I & DMSO solution works by killing bacteria, viruses, and fungi on the skin. It also helps to reduce inflammation and promote healing. DMSO helps to enhance the absorption of PVP-I into the skin, making it more effective.

Is PVP-I & DMSO solution safe to use?

PVP-I & DMSO solution is generally safe to use when used as directed. However, some people may experience skin irritation or allergic reactions. It is important to test a small area of skin before using it on a larger area. If you experience any adverse reactions, discontinue use and consult a doctor.

Can PVP-I & DMSO solution be used on open wounds?

Yes, PVP-I & DMSO solution can be used on open wounds. It is effective in preventing infection and promoting wound healing. However, it is important to consult a doctor before using it on severe or deep wounds.

How should PVP-I & DMSO solution be applied?

PVP-I & DMSO solution should be applied to the affected area using a clean cotton swab or gauze. It is important to cover the entire area with a thin layer of the solution. The area can then be covered with a bandage or left uncovered, depending on the recommendation of a doctor.