Help with PVP-I & DMSO solution

Giuseppechimico
TL;DR Summary
Need to prepare the following solution taken from a published study:
"1% povidone–iodine solution in a liquid vehicle system that included 44% USP-grade DMSO"
Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a solution described in a published study but I am not sure on how to interpret it correctly:

"We have been using a low-dose formulation of 1% Povidone-Iodine (w/w) in a solution containing dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)...
"1% povidone–iodine solution in a liquid vehicle system that included 44% USP-grade DMSO"

Now I can easily find pure liquid DMSO but only a 100mL of 10% w/v Povidone-Iodine (PVP-I).

Based on my (limited..) understanding, I assume I could obtain a 44% DMSO solution by adding 78,57 mL of DMSO to the 100mL of 10% PVI (78,57/(100+78,57)).
On the other hand the PVP-I concentration in this new solution would drop to 5,6% (10mg/178,57).

Is that correct?
Is there a way I can obtain both 44% DMSO and 1% PVP-I ?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
modify_inline.gif

Answers and Replies

sysprog
SAFETY ALERT: DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is a solvent that can instantly carry its solutes transcutaneously (through the skin) ##-## iodine and iodides is/are or may be highly toxic ##-## please be extremely careful about mixing anything with DMSO . . .

Giuseppechimico

Suggested for: Help with PVP-I & DMSO solution

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies