Help with relating Current and Charge

In summary, the first question is asking how much charge leaves a car battery rated at 90 A hr when it is completely discharged after 1 hr of supplying a current of 90 A. The second question is asking for the potential difference across a 20-m long, 2.0 mm diameter copper wire carrying an 8.0A current, and can be solved using the equations E = V/L and I = (A/p) * E.
RafaFutbol
1. First Question

A car battery is rated at 90 A hr, meaning that it can supply a current of 90 A current for 1 hr before being completely discharged. If you leave your headlights on until the battery is completely dead, how much charge leaves the battery?

Can charge be related to the current as well? Since current is the flow of charge, can it just be said that Q = It, where t is 3600 seconds, and I is 90 A?

so then Q = (90)(3600) = 3.24 * 10^5 C

Is this correct?

Second Question

What is the potential difference across a 20-m long, 2.0 mm diameter copper wire carrying an 8.0A current?

We know that E = V/L, and that I = (A/p) * E, so then E = (I*p)/A

then we can relate them as V = (I*p*L)/A

We have I, L and A, but how would I get p from the information given?

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RafaFutbol said:
1. First Question

A car battery is rated at 90 A hr, meaning that it can supply a current of 90 A current for 1 hr before being completely discharged. If you leave your headlights on until the battery is completely dead, how much charge leaves the battery?

Can charge be related to the current as well? Since current is the flow of charge, can it just be said that Q = It, where t is 3600 seconds, and I is 90 A?

so then Q = (90)(3600) = 3.24 * 10^5 C

Is this correct?

Second Question

What is the potential difference across a 20-m long, 2.0 mm diameter copper wire carrying an 8.0A current?

We know that E = V/L, and that I = (A/p) * E, so then E = (I*p)/A

then we can relate them as V = (I*p*L)/A

We have I, L and A, but how would I get p from the information given?

Thanks for the help guys!

Looks ok to me.

Yes, your calculation for the first question is correct. Q = It is the formula for charge, where Q is charge in coulombs, I is current in amperes, and t is time in seconds.

For the second question, you can calculate the resistivity (p) of copper using the given diameter and the known resistivity of copper (1.68 x 10^-8 ohm-m). Then you can use the formula V = IR to calculate the potential difference across the wire.

What is the relationship between current and charge?

The relationship between current and charge is that current is the rate of flow of electric charge. In other words, current is the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time.

How is current related to the movement of charges?

Current is directly related to the movement of charges. If there is no movement of charges, there is no current. The direction of current is determined by the direction of movement of the charges.

What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is the Ampere (A). This unit is named after the French physicist Andre-Marie Ampere who is credited for discovering the relationship between current and magnetism.

How is current affected by the amount of charge?

The current is directly proportional to the amount of charge. This means that as the amount of charge increases, the current also increases. Similarly, if the amount of charge decreases, the current will also decrease.

What factors can influence the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be influenced by several factors including the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material conducting the charges. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the current flow.