Help with structural formula and resonance structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for help in determining the number of structural formulas that can be written for C6H14, including both straight chain and branched chain compounds. The next part involves trying to identify which compounds do not require resonance structures to provide an accurate description. The options given are OF2, N3-, NH3O, IF5, and C2H6O. The person asking for help has tried various combinations of the given options but has not been successful in finding the correct answer.
SamTsui86
I don't know what I am doing wrong, please help.

2) How many different structual formulas can be written for C6H14

Include straight chain and branched chain compounds.

Enter an integer as an answer.

(I put in 5 but it say that I am wrong)

3) Which of the following compounds do not require resonance structures to provide a reasonable description ?

a) OF2

b) N3-

c) NH3O

d) IF5

e) C2H6O

(I've tried ade, de, ae and cde. They're all wrong)

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain why you chose the answers like that? That way, it'll be easier to help you correct your mistake.

I am happy to assist with your questions about structural formulas and resonance structures. Let's start with the first question about C6H14. This molecule is a hydrocarbon, meaning it is made up of only carbon and hydrogen atoms. Since the formula indicates 6 carbon atoms, we can assume that it is a hexane molecule. Hexane can exist in different isomeric forms, meaning it has the same chemical formula but a different arrangement of atoms. In this case, there are three possible isomers for C6H14: n-hexane (straight chain), 2-methylpentane (branched chain), and 3-methylpentane (branched chain). Therefore, the correct answer is 3 different structural formulas for C6H14.

Moving on to the second question, let's look at the compounds that require resonance structures. Resonance structures are needed when a molecule or ion cannot be accurately described by a single Lewis structure. In this case, only N3- (azide ion) requires resonance structures to accurately depict its bonding. The correct answer is b) N3-.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of structural formulas and resonance structures. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a structural formula?

A structural formula is a visual representation of the arrangement of atoms within a molecule. It shows the connections between atoms and the types of bonds present in the molecule.

2. How do I draw a structural formula?

You can draw a structural formula by first identifying the atoms present in the molecule and their respective bonds. Then, use lines to represent the bonds between atoms and draw the chemical symbols for each atom. Make sure to follow the correct number of valence electrons for each atom and use dashes and wedges to indicate the orientation of bonds in three-dimensional molecules.

3. What is resonance structure?

Resonance structure is a term used to describe the delocalization of electrons within a molecule. It occurs when a molecule can be represented by multiple Lewis structures due to the shifting of electrons between atoms.

4. How do I determine the major resonance structure?

The major resonance structure is the most stable representation of a molecule. To determine it, you must consider the formal charges of atoms, the electronegativity of atoms, and the placement of charges within the molecule. The major resonance structure has the most balanced distribution of charges and the fewest formal charges.

5. Why are resonance structures important?

Resonance structures are important because they provide a more accurate representation of the electronic structure of a molecule. They also help explain the stability of molecules and the reactivity of certain compounds. Additionally, resonance structures are essential in understanding the behavior of molecules in chemical reactions.