Numerical integration of Bethe formula in Excel: help

In summary, a PhD student in geology is seeking help from a physicist to find a mistake in their spreadsheet. They are using an Excel spreadsheet to integrate the Bethe formula for estimating the range of alpha particles in quartz. The version of the formula they are using is from Groom and Klein's "Passage of Particles through Matter" but without the density effect correction. The student has noticed that the Bragg curve in their spreadsheet continues to increase instead of peaking and then decreasing as expected. They are still getting a stopping distance close to their expected value. They are offering credit in their thesis acknowledgments to anyone who can find the problem in the spreadsheet.
Moho
Hello,

I am a PhD student in geology in need of help from a physicist! Can somebody spot the mistake in my spreadsheet?

I am using an Excel spreadsheet (attached .xls) to integrate the Bethe formula in order to estimate the range (in cm) of alpha particles in quartz. I am using the version of the formula given in Groom and Klein's "Passage of Particles through Matter": http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-passage-particles-matter.pdf (but ignoring the density effect correction because I am not interested in high energies).

In Excel, I can plot the Bragg peak (dE/dX against x) or the energy of the alpha particle (E against x). Something is very wrong: the Bragg curve just goes up and up and never comes down again (don't be misled by Excel plotting #NUM! as 0). I would expect dE/dX to start out at something like 500 and then smoothly increase up to the peak (like the Bragg peaks in Google image search).

I must be doing something right, though, because it looks as if the stopping distance is going to be close to what I would expect (about 0.04 cm).

Can anybody find the problem in the attached spreadsheet? Reward: credit in my thesis acknowledgments!

Many thanks!

Moho

Attachments

• BETHEVERSION3.zip
    289.9 KB · Views: 296
Physics news on Phys.org
For low energy (βγ<0.03), the Bethe-Bloch formula gives wrong results, as shown in figure 27.1 in the pdf.
Apart from that: After the energy is 0, the energy loss should be 0 as well, giving a nice Bragg peak.

What is numerical integration?

Numerical integration is a method used to approximate the value of a definite integral using numerical techniques, instead of solving it analytically. It involves dividing the integral into smaller intervals and using mathematical algorithms to calculate the area under the curve.

What is the Bethe formula?

The Bethe formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the energy loss of a charged particle as it passes through a material. It takes into account the particle's velocity, mass, and the density of the material.

Why is numerical integration of the Bethe formula important?

Numerical integration of the Bethe formula is important because it allows for the calculation of energy loss in a material without having to solve the integral analytically. This is especially useful in situations where the integral cannot be solved using traditional methods.

How can I perform numerical integration of the Bethe formula in Excel?

To perform numerical integration of the Bethe formula in Excel, you can use the built-in function "TRAPZ" to calculate the area under the curve. You will need to input the velocity, mass, and density values, along with the intervals of integration, to get the final value.

Are there any limitations to using Excel for numerical integration of the Bethe formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Excel for numerical integration of the Bethe formula. Excel has a limited precision and may not be suitable for calculations involving very small or large values. Additionally, Excel may not have built-in functions for more complex integration methods, such as Gaussian quadrature.