Help with this partial derivative problem

In summary, the problem is that you are taking the partial derivative with respect to x of the partial derivative of z with respect to y, and this gives you a second-order derivative, whereas on the right-hand side (what you did) you are merely multiplying two first-order derivatives together...
schattenjaeger
I'm supposed to find (assume all these d's are the partial derivative sign, not d)

d^2z/dxdy, d^2z/dx^2, and d^2z/dy^2

The one I can't do is z^2 + sinx = tany

I set it equal to zero, so z^2 + sinx - tany=0

so dz/dx = - Fx/Fz = sec^2y/2z
dz/dy = - Fy/Fz = -cosx/2z

multiply them for d^2z/dxdy I get -(sec^2y*cosx)/(4z^2) which is ALMOST right, but the book says the denominator is 4z^3, and the other two I do the same procedure(dz/dx * dz/dx for the second one for example) and get nothing close

Physics news on Phys.org
schattenjaeger said:
dz/dx = - Fx/Fz = sec^2y/2z
dz/dy = - Fy/Fz = -cosx/2z

multiply them for d^2z/dxdy I get -(sec^2y*cosx)/(4z^2) which is ALMOST right, but the book says the denominator is 4z^3, and the other two I do the same procedure(dz/dx * dz/dx for the second one for example) and get nothing close

Your problem seems to be the fact that
[tex]\frac{\partial^2z}{\partial x\partial y} \neq \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}.[/tex]

On the left-hand side (what you want to find), you are taking the partial derivative with respect to x of the partial derivative of z with respect to y, that is
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right).[/tex]
This gives you a second-order derivative, whereas on the right-hand side (what you did) you are merely multiplying two first-order derivatives together... The same will be true for the other derivatives you have to find, since
[tex]\frac{\partial^2z}{\partial x^2} \neq \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)^2.[/tex]

Ah, ok, one mistake outta the way

in that case, and I know I'm doing it wrong, if I take the partial derivative of z with respect to y, I end up with 2z*dz/dy + sec^2y, and if I take the partial derivative with respect to x at this point, I end up with 0, which clearly isn't right. I can usually do implicit differentiation but I'm doing something silly here

Edit, oh wait I'm stupid, I guess the -Fx/Fy stuff was still right then? Hang on

Edit #2 - Oh jeez, I had that bacwards up there too, so I'm still taking the partial with respect to x, but with no x in the equation which gives me 0:(

Last edited:
YES, got it, though I'm not sure it was the most efficient way
I set the equation equal to z to find dz/dy,
z=sqrt(tanx-sinx)
dz/dy=-((tany-sinx)^-1/2 / 2) * sec^2y

then derivative in terms of x, (-sec^2 y /2) * 1/2(tany-sinx)^-3/2 * cosx

plug in z for (tanx-sinx)^1/2 and that all simplifies to the right answer

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why is calculating partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in multiple variables. This is crucial in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where many real-world problems involve multiple variables.

3. How do I solve a partial derivative problem?

To solve a partial derivative problem, you need to start by identifying the function and the variable you want to differentiate with respect to. Then, you use the appropriate rules and techniques (such as the chain rule, product rule, or quotient rule) to find the partial derivative. It is also helpful to draw a graph or use tables to better understand the problem.

4. Can you provide an example of a partial derivative problem?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x,y) = 3x^2y + 5y. To find the partial derivative with respect to x, we would use the power rule and the chain rule to get ∂f/∂x = 6xy. Similarly, the partial derivative with respect to y would be ∂f/∂y = 3x^2 + 5.

5. How can I use partial derivatives in real life?

Partial derivatives have many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate rates of change in thermodynamics, optimization problems in economics, and slope and curvature in engineering designs. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to optimize models and algorithms.