Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding the use of the chain rule of differentiation in fluid mechanics. The student is struggling with the concept and is seeking clarification on the partial derivatives involved. They are directed to look up the chain rule for partial derivatives to gain a better understanding.
fluidmech

Homework Statement

I'm taking a fluid mechanics class and I'm having an issue with acceleration and background knowledge. I know this is ridiculous, but I was hoping someone might be able to explain it for me.

Homework Equations

I definitely understand:
##a=\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}##

And I know that u, v, and w are components of the velocity, ##\vec{V}=<u,v,w>##

But how do I use the chain rule of differentiation to get to:

##\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}=\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} +\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt} +\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}##

Thanks in advance!

- Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidmech said:

Homework Statement

I'm taking a fluid mechanics class and I'm having an issue with acceleration and background knowledge. I know this is ridiculous, but I was hoping someone might be able to explain it for me.

Homework Equations

I definitely understand:
##a=\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}##

And I know that u, v, and w are components of the velocity, ##\vec{V}=<u,v,w>##

But how do I use the chain rule of differentiation to get to:

##\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}=\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t} +\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt} +\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}##

Thanks in advance!

- Matt

You want to think of V as a function of four variables V(t,x,y,z).

I see, I'm still a bit hazy on the mathematics of the partials, would you mind elaborating on that?

Last edited:
fluidmech said:
I see, I'm still a bit hazy on the mathematics of the partials, would you mind elaborating on that?

Look up the chain rule for partial derivatives. E.g. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChainRule.html

That helped me tremendously. Now I understand it, thank you!

1. What is the Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives?

The Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives is a mathematical process used to calculate the rate of change of velocity over time. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the velocity function with respect to time to determine the acceleration at a specific point in time.

2. Why is the Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives important?

This process is important because it allows scientists to understand the motion of objects and predict their future movements. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering and navigation systems.

3. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. In the context of the Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity, partial derivatives are used to calculate the rate of change of velocity with respect to time.

4. How is the Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives different from the traditional method of calculating acceleration?

The traditional method of calculating acceleration involves finding the average acceleration over a given time interval. The Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives, on the other hand, calculates the instantaneous acceleration at a specific point in time, providing a more precise measurement of the object's acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Derivation of Acceleration from Velocity with Partial derivatives?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It assumes that the object's velocity is continuously changing and that there are no external forces acting on the object. It also requires precise measurements of the object's velocity at different points in time. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not always hold true, leading to errors in the calculated acceleration.