Help with total work done by friction problem

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass (m) sliding down a plank of length (s) and height (h) with a coefficient of friction (uk). The task is to derive an expression for the total work done by the friction force on the block. After some discussion, it is determined that the friction force is equal to the normal force times uk, and the normal force is equal to the perpendicular component of the block's weight. A diagram is suggested to help visualize the problem and the relationship between the weight, normal force, and angle of inclination of the ramp.
debrickshaw

Homework Statement

A Block of mass (m) slides down a plank of length (s) from a height (h) down to the ground. The friction between the plank and the block is uk. Derive and expression for the total work done by the force of friction done by force of friction on the block

Homework Equations

W=Fd
F=W/d
d=W/F
Wtotal=1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

at top PE = M=mgh
honestly I've been staring at this damn problem for a half an hour and that's all I've got, any help would be very appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Work equals force times distance. Can you figure out what the magnitude of the friction force on the block is?

ok, so mg(mk) is the magnitude of the friction force
so w = mg(mk) * s?

i mean mg (uk)

Careful. The friction force is equal to the normal force times uk. Is the normal force on the block equal to its weight in this situation?

ok, so F of friction is equal to sin (theta) x uk x mg?

ok so this is what I've worked out so far

W= F x D
D= -SF=uk x m x g

but i don't think that's right, i can't figure out how to incorporate the height, nor do i know how to get the normal force

Draw a diagram. Resolve the block's weight into two components, one in the direction parallel to the ramp, and one in the direction perpendicular to the ramp. The normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to this perpendicular component of the block's weight (we know this because there is no acceleration in the direction perpendicular to the ramp).

Once you have your diagram, you will be able to see that the angle between the total weight vector and its perpendicular component is the same as the angle of inclination of the ramp.

Hint: In your second last post, sin(theta) is not correct.

What is the formula for calculating total work done by friction?

The formula for calculating total work done by friction is W = μNΔx, where W is the work done, μ is the coefficient of friction, N is the normal force, and Δx is the displacement.

How do I determine the coefficient of friction in a problem?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It can also be found in tables or given in the problem.

What is the normal force and how do I calculate it?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity.

What are the units for work done by friction?

The units for work done by friction are Joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

How does the angle of incline affect the work done by friction?

The angle of incline can affect the work done by friction by changing the normal force and displacement, which are both factors in the calculation. As the angle increases, the normal force and displacement may also increase, resulting in a higher work done by friction.