Help -- Writing Lagrangian in different Representations

L }_{int}In summary, the conversation is about writing a Lagrangian in different representations, specifically in the SU(3) 10 plet representation. The question is how to write the Lagrangian for a model that includes exotic fermions not found in the Standard Model. The person is also asking for sources on writing Lagrangians in different representations. The summary also includes the formula for the SU(3) Lagrangian in terms of the 3 and 3* representations.
Karatechop250
Okay, so I am trying to understand on how to write Lagrangian in different representations. I know the formula of the SU(3) lagrangian in terms of the 3 and 3* rep. Now presume I have a model in the SU(3) 10 plet rep which includes exotic fermions not in the SM. How would I write out the lagrangian for this new model ? Does anyone know of any sources on writing lagrangians in different representations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Karatechop250 said:
Okay, so I am trying to understand on how to write Lagrangian in different representations. I know the formula of the SU(3) lagrangian in terms of the 3 and 3* rep. Now presume I have a model in the SU(3) 10 plet rep which includes exotic fermions not in the SM. How would I write out the lagrangian for this new model ? Does anyone know of any sources on writing lagrangians in different representations.
What are these fermions?
[tex]\mathcal{ L } = i \bar{ [ 10 ] } \gamma^{ \mu } \partial_{ \mu } [ 10 ] [/tex]

1. What is a Lagrangian representation?

A Lagrangian representation is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities. It is named after the Italian mathematician and physicist Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. How do I write a Lagrangian in different representations?

To write a Lagrangian in different representations, you need to first identify the generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities. Then, you can use the Lagrangian equations to express the kinetic and potential energy of the system in terms of these coordinates. Finally, you can rearrange the equations to obtain the Lagrangian in the desired representation.

3. What are the advantages of using different representations for the Lagrangian?

Using different representations for the Lagrangian can make it easier to solve complex problems and analyze the dynamics of a system from different perspectives. It can also help in simplifying the equations and reducing the number of variables involved.

4. Is there a standard notation for writing the Lagrangian in different representations?

Yes, the standard notation for writing the Lagrangian in different representations is by using the generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities as the independent variables. However, different fields of study may have their own notations and conventions.

5. Can the Lagrangian be written in any representation?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be written in any representation as long as the generalized coordinates and velocities are properly identified. However, some representations may be more suitable for certain types of problems or systems.