Helping find moments in mass-spring-ball system

In summary, the conversation is about a mass-spring-ball system with friction where the ball only rolls. The goal is to find the model of the system, but there is difficulty in considering the force F2 in the sum of moments. The equations for mass1 and the ball have been found, but the calculation for Mfp is unclear. The person is asking for help with this issue.
syndrome
I have this mass-spring-ball system:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1723401/massa-molla/sistema.png

There is friction, but the ball only rolls.
I have to find the model of the system.

I started to divide the 2 systems and for mass1 I found the follow equation:

[itex] m_1 \cdot \ddot{x_1} = F_k - F_1 - F_{a1} = k \cdot (x_2 - x_1) - F_1 - F_{a1}[/itex]

Then I find the equation for the ball, but I have some problem! I don't know how to consider that F2 in the sum of the moments!
The sum of the moments will be r * F2, or F2 must be perpendicular to R?

What I've done:

[itex] m_2 \cdot \ddot{x_2} = F_2 - F_k - F_{A2} = F_2 +k \cdot (x_2 - x_1) - F_{a2} [/itex]
[itex] J \cdot \ddot{ \alpha } = F_{a2} \cdot r + M_{FP} [/itex]

But now I don't know how to find Mfp..

any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Up.. please :confused:

1. What is a mass-spring-ball system?

A mass-spring-ball system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, with a ball attached to the other end of the spring. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force on the mass, causing it to oscillate back and forth. This system is commonly used in physics experiments and simulations to study the properties of springs and simple harmonic motion.

2. How does finding moments in a mass-spring-ball system help in understanding the system?

By finding the moments in a mass-spring-ball system, we can determine the forces acting on the mass at different points in its oscillation. This helps us understand how the system behaves and how different factors, such as the mass or the spring constant, affect its motion. It also allows us to make predictions about the system's behavior in different scenarios.

3. What techniques are used to find moments in a mass-spring-ball system?

There are several techniques that can be used to find moments in a mass-spring-ball system, including mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical experiments. These techniques may involve measuring the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the mass, as well as analyzing the forces acting on the system.

4. Are there any real-life applications of studying mass-spring-ball systems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of studying mass-spring-ball systems. For example, understanding the behavior of springs is important in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers. The principles of simple harmonic motion, which can be observed in a mass-spring-ball system, also apply to many other physical systems, such as pendulums and musical instruments.

5. How can finding moments in a mass-spring-ball system be useful in other fields of science?

Finding moments in a mass-spring-ball system can be useful in other fields of science, such as engineering, biology, and geology. The principles of simple harmonic motion and the behavior of springs can be applied to a wide range of systems, from the movement of molecules in a protein to the oscillations of tectonic plates. Understanding these systems can help us make predictions and solve problems in various scientific disciplines.