Frequency of Oscillation: Two Springs Connected to a Mass m | Homework Help

In summary: Once you have that, you simply substitute it into the equation for the period of a mass on a spring.In summary, by using the equation for the period of a mass on a spring and the effective spring constant for two springs connected in series, the frequency of oscillation of a mass connected to two springs with stiffnesses of k1 and k2 can be calculated by taking the square root of the product of k1 and k2, divided by the sum of k1 and k2, and then dividing that by 2π.
toesockshoe

Homework Statement

Two springs are joined and connected to a mass m such that they are all in a straight line. The two springs are connected first and then the mass last so that all three are in a row. If the springs have a stiffness of k1 and then k2, find the frequency of oscillation of m.

Homework Equations

[itex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i tried making an F=ma for the mass and spring 1 (which is said was the spring closer to the mass)...

F=ma system mass

[itex] F_{el} = ma [/itex]
[itex] k_1 x_1 = ma [/itex]
max acceration happens at aplitude:
[itex] k_1 x_1 = mA \omega ^2 [/itex]

F=ma system spring 1.

[itex] F_{el mass} - F _{el 2} = M_{s1} [/itex]
i am assuming the spring is massless ( i think we can do that)
so [itex] F_{elmass} = F_{el 2} [itex]
[itex] k_1 x_1 = k_2 x_2 [/itex]

i suppose [itex] x_1 + x_2 = A [/itex] when both x's are at maximum. ...
so [itex] \frac {k_1}{k_1} = k_2 (A-x_1) [/itex]

[itex] x_1 = \frac {A}{ \frac {k_1}{k_2} + 1 } [/itex]

go back the the last equation we got in f=ma system mass and subtitute in the x_1 we just found...

the A's cancel out and after we simply we get:

[itex] \omega = \sqrt{ \frac{k_1 k_2}{ (k_1 + k_1) m }} [/itex] ////
and to get F... just divide it by 2pi... right?
is this even correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
try it with energy method you would be albe to solve it. if not reply i will post the solution.

AYPHY said:
try it with energy method you would be albe to solve it. if not reply i will post the solution.
Be careful about this in the homework section of PF !

SammyS said:
Be careful about this in the homework section of PF !

do you see a problem with my solution?

toesockshoe said:

Homework Statement

Two springs are joined and connected to a mass m such that they are all in a straight line. The two springs are connected first and then the mass last so that all three are in a row. If the springs have a stiffness of k1 and then k2, find the frequency of oscillation of m.

Homework Equations

[itex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i tried making an F=ma for the mass and spring 1 (which is said was the spring closer to the mass)...
F=ma system mass
[itex] F_{el} = ma [/itex]
[itex] k_1 x_1 = ma [/itex]
max acceration happens at aplitude:
[itex] k_1 x_1 = mA \omega ^2 [/itex]

F=ma system spring 1.
[itex] F_{el mass} - F _{el 2} = M_{s1} [/itex]
i am assuming the spring is massless ( i think we can do that)
so [itex] F_{elmass} = F_{el 2} [itex]
[itex] k_1 x_1 = k_2 x_2 [/itex]

i suppose [itex] x_1 + x_2 = A [/itex] when both x's are at maximum. ...
so [itex] \frac {k_1}{k_1} = k_2 (A-x_1) [/itex]

[itex] x_1 = \frac {A}{ \frac {k_1}{k_2} + 1 } [/itex]

go back the the last equation we got in f=ma system mass and subtitute in the x_1 we just found...

the A's cancel out and after we simply we get:

[itex] \omega = \sqrt{ \frac{k_1 k_2}{ (k_1 + k_1) m }} [/itex] ////
and to get F... just divide it by 2pi... right?
is this even correct?
toesockshoe,

I haven't examined your entire solution, but I'm pretty sure that your final answer IS correct !

Two springs connected in that manner have an effective spring constant of ##\displaystyle\ k_\text{eff}=\frac{k_1\,k_2}{k_1+k_2}\ .##

Last edited:

1. What are oscillations and why do they occur?

Oscillations refer to the repetitive motion of a system around an equilibrium point. They occur when there is a restoring force acting on the system, causing it to move back and forth between two points.

2. How do I know if a problem involves oscillations?

If a problem involves a system that has a restoring force and can move back and forth around an equilibrium point, then it likely involves oscillations. Checking for keywords like "vibrations," "pendulum," or "simple harmonic motion" can also indicate the presence of oscillations.

3. What are some common types of oscillations?

Some common types of oscillations include simple harmonic motion, damped oscillations, and forced oscillations. Simple harmonic motion is the most basic type of oscillation, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

4. What are some key equations and concepts related to oscillations?

Some key equations and concepts related to oscillations include Hooke's Law, which relates the restoring force to the displacement of a spring; the period and frequency of oscillations; amplitude and energy; and the concept of resonance, where the amplitude of oscillation increases when the driving frequency matches the natural frequency of the system.

5. How do I approach solving a problem involving oscillations?

To solve a problem involving oscillations, it is important to first identify the type of oscillation and the relevant equations and concepts. Then, carefully read the problem and identify the given information and what is being asked for. Finally, set up and solve the equations to find the desired solution.