Hertz contact problems of three cylinders

In summary, the professor gave incorrect numbers for the force normal to the contact surface. The correct answer is 818.1 N.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
look at the image
Relevant Equations
hertz contact
Greetings
i´m trying to find the Force applied by the upper roller to calculate the contact surface.

1653920730222.png

Here is indeed my solution
1653920876346.png

2*FR1* cos31,38=F=1500N
FR1=878,57N (which is wrong the correct solution says 818,1N)
FR1 is the force normal to the surface of contact.

any help would highly appreciated

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm not seeing where "L" is defined...

Likes Amaelle
Sorry L and S are equal to 0 , it was for the students so that each one do a different assignment sorry for the confusion :)

Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: look at the image
Relevant Equations:: hertz contact

cos31,38
In that case, I get a different value for that angle. Can you show your calculation for how you solved for it?

Likes Amaelle
Thank you here it is
1653925539238.png

we have an isoscele triangle
as you can see the first side is the some of the R1+R2=48
I got the other side by Pythagore
48^2-25^2=1679 means the side value is 40,97
and then the angle =invers.tangente(25/40,97) =31,38°
thank you!

Oh, I see now that I misread this as c = 25 + 5. But if that is "S" and not "5", then I get the same angle as you. I'm not sure where the discrepancy is in your solution then...

1653927630260.png

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
thank you for taking time to answer me!

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I'm not sure where the discrepancy is in your solution then...
Could it have something to do with slight deformation or friction at the contact points? If they are infinitely hard and frictionless surfaces I think your answer is correct. But since they give so much other information... What chapter is this out of in the book? Do they discuss any other factors that would affect this calculation in that part of the text?

Likes Amaelle
berkeman said:
Could it have something to do with slight deformation or friction at the contact points? If they are infinitely hard and frictionless surfaces I think your answer is correct. But since they give so much other information... What chapter is this out of in the book? Do they discuss any other factors that would affect this calculation in that part of the text?
Indeed one of the asymptions is the absence of frictions, indeed I'm surprised as you because this is an undergrad course so there shouldn't be any hidden tricks :oldconfused:

Realistic assumptions, given the material properties and that this is an undergrad problem:

Zero deflection of rollers due to Hertz contact stress
Zero deflection in bearings
Zero friction
No hidden tricks

I get exactly the same contact force as the OP - 878.57 N.

I agree with the calculations by both @Amaelle and @berkeman, and have no idea where the given answer came from. I can only guess that somebody entered a number wrong.

Likes Amaelle and berkeman
Likes jrmichler and berkeman
just an update! the solution was correct it was the Professor mistake to give wrong numbers
Thanks a million guys!

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, jrmichler and berkeman

1. What are Hertz contact problems of three cylinders?

Hertz contact problems of three cylinders refer to the study of the contact and deformation between three cylinders that are in contact with each other. This is an important problem in the field of mechanics and is often used to analyze the behavior of mechanical systems.

2. What factors affect Hertz contact problems of three cylinders?

The main factors that affect Hertz contact problems of three cylinders are the material properties of the cylinders, the geometry of the contact surfaces, and the applied forces or loads. Other factors such as surface roughness and temperature can also have an impact on the contact behavior.

3. How are Hertz contact problems of three cylinders solved?

Hertz contact problems of three cylinders can be solved using analytical methods or numerical methods such as finite element analysis. Analytical solutions are based on mathematical equations and assumptions, while numerical methods use computer simulations to solve the problem.

4. What are the applications of Hertz contact problems of three cylinders?

Hertz contact problems of three cylinders have many practical applications, including the design of mechanical components such as gears, bearings, and rolling elements. They are also used in the study of contact and wear in materials science and engineering.

5. What are the limitations of Hertz contact problems of three cylinders?

One of the main limitations of Hertz contact problems of three cylinders is that they are based on assumptions and simplifications, which may not accurately represent real-world situations. Additionally, these problems do not take into account factors such as friction and surface adhesion, which can affect the contact behavior of the cylinders.