Gas - cylinder - piston problem

In summary, the classical gas-cylinder-piston problem asks for the total force acting on a gas in a confined cylinder, by the atmosphere, plus the weight of the piston. The problem can be solved straightforwardly by noting that the gas is heated and expands, and the displacement of the piston and weight is given. The work and displacement of the gas can be found, and the system is then balanced. However, it is not clear if the gas pressure is constant or affected by the system, and the problem is not explained well.
akmkeng
Summary:: Seeking explanation to classical gas - cylinder - piston problem, not the solution.
Problem 1.15 from 7th edition of Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith, Van nes and Abbot)

Classical problem, given:
- gas in a confined cylinder
- piston with weight is placed above
- no friction between piston and cylinder
- weight of the piston+weight
- atmospheric pressure
(This 1.15 from 7th edition of Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith, Van nes and Abbot)

(a) asks for total force acting on gas by Atmosphere, piston+weight.
Ftotal = PatmApiston + mpiston+weightg

(b) This is straghtforward force balance:
PgasApiston = PatmApiston + mpiston+weightg

(c) Gas is heated and expands. Displacement of piston+weight is given. Need to find Work and ΔEp.
Now I understand the dW = Fdl, and by explanation I found elsewhere on internet, the F should be at least equal to total Force that is being acted on gas by atm, piston+weight (from point a), and this makes sense to me. ΔEp is straightforward from ΔEp = mgdl as well.

What I don't understand is say, we heated the gas, it expanded and the system is kept in this state. Let's say the gas properties before this are state 1 and after - state 2. After that, let it be the moment we started solving this problem. Repeating point (b) we will find the Pgas, but it will be equal to P1, whereas we know it was heated and expanded and is now P2. This is where my brain trips and everything else starts not making sense.

Please help out. I am redoing undergraduate level problems to gain stronger basics understanding and don't seem to be able to skip this one. Please.

I attached the schematics as I see it, sorry for poor quality, if so. Also I see I forgot to indicate Patm in my scheme, but it doesn't change anything much, so leaving it as it is.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 138
Physics news on Phys.org
I just had the realization, is the system with changed gas pressure balanced by changed atmospheric pressure?
so before heating it is:
Pgas1 Apiston = Patm1Apiston + mpiston+weightg
after heating:
Pgas2Apiston = Patm2Apiston + mpiston+weightg

But it doesn't correlate with understanding that the atmosphere is surroundings and too big to have been impacted by piston movement. However, is it not? Considering it is given in the question as one of the constituents of system as well. I see that my thinking contradicts itself here, atmoshhere is both system and surroundings according to me. Let's establish it as part of the system, then the question is it constant or not? In which cases can we consider it possible to be affected by system and when it is not?

Last edited:

1. What is the "Gas - cylinder - piston problem"?

The gas-cylinder-piston problem is a classic physics problem that involves a cylinder filled with gas and a piston that can move up and down. The goal is to determine how changing the volume of the cylinder affects the pressure and temperature of the gas inside.

2. What are the variables involved in this problem?

There are three main variables in the gas-cylinder-piston problem: pressure, volume, and temperature. These variables are related through the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas.

3. How is this problem solved?

This problem is typically solved using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT), where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. By manipulating this equation and using appropriate units, the values of the variables can be determined.

4. What are the real-life applications of this problem?

The gas-cylinder-piston problem has many real-life applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and scuba diving equipment. Understanding how changes in volume affect the pressure and temperature of gases is crucial in these and many other industries.

5. Are there any limitations to this problem?

One limitation of this problem is that it assumes the gas behaves ideally, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, the ideal gas law is only applicable to gases at low pressures and high temperatures, so it may not accurately predict the behavior of gases in extreme conditions.