1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey everyone, where can i study astronomy on internet?

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    hello everyone, can someone help me know where I can take a course in astronomy / cosmology on the Internet where you get recognition and diploma and to get on with my passion of the universe? This means a lot to me and I want to move on in my passion. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Maybe you could take an online college course on astronomy? If so, try this. It's postgraduate, I will warn; it was the best I could find.

Alternatively, you can learn astronomy for free (but you won't get credit/recognition) at Khan Academy.

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3
  5. Aug 19, 2015 #4
    http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

while this is more aimed at general theoretical physics, it has a lot of links to resources for basic (and for that matter intermediate and advanced) physics you will need as prerequisites, as well as some specifically astro things (GR, cosmo, and the astro sections)

The overall article/"guide" written by a Nobel laureate as well so you can be reasonably assured of it's accuracy. The individual resources (lecture notes etc) are not necessarily and may vary in quality, but one would assume he's picked good representative examples.

6. Aug 19, 2015 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Aug 19, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by 'recognition and diploma'? Are you looking to get a degree in astronomy/cosmology? If so, you're best bet is to find an actual college that offers such programs.

8. Aug 19, 2015 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to what others have said, here is a very good applet: http://astro.unl.edu/naap/

That's just for self study, you won't get a degree or meet any requirement from it. Drakkith's post is dead on about actually obtaining a degree, you're going to want to find a university program.

9. Aug 19, 2015 #8
    I think he means something like Coursera. Where you get a certificate upon completion. Correct me if I am wrong.

10. Aug 19, 2015 #9
    I would personally buy a book and self-study it. Get into the habit of self-studying things you are interested in. It will give you an edge in college because you actually learned how to learn and not memorize factoids.

11. Aug 19, 2015 #10

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe, but I don't see the point really in doing that. A certificate that you completed an astronomy course probably isn't worth the paper it was printed on.

12. Aug 20, 2015 #11
    im 17 years old in hight school and i love astronomy/astrophysics

13. Aug 20, 2015 #12
    can someone recommend me astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology/ applying quantum mechanics or separated books please

14. Aug 20, 2015 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, but what are your goals. Few people will recognize an online degree. If you want to work in astronomy eventually, then you can't get there by studying on the internet. If you just want to learn more about it because you're interested, then I don't see why recognition matters.

15. Aug 20, 2015 #14
    At your age your best bet is to focus on your high school classes and on getting into a recognized physics/astrophysics/astronomy degree programme, if your aim is to become a professional astronomer/astrophysicist. While you're doing that, you can try to get involved in any astro related things going on in your area.

Some examples could be; tracking meteorites (there's a UK wide initiative to track meteorites for example that one of the first year physicists last year was involved in during high school); see if there are any observatories near you that you can try to get involved in as a volunteer or something (our SpaceX society are building a radio telescope in Cornwall and we're trying to get local schools involved through various outreach programmes); astro related science fair projects (e.g. observational stuff, or something more theoretical along the lines of desigining a radio telescope or a computational interferometry project using open source data).

However you should focus on your studies first and foremost.

16. Aug 20, 2015 #15

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What kind of books are you looking for? Are you wanting to learn the actual physics behind these fields, or are you just wanting more of an overview and a non-math approach?

17. Aug 20, 2015 #16
    non math approach please

18. Aug 20, 2015 #17
    It is funner with the math and more useful! Do you calculus?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook