Hey everyone, where can i study astronomy on internet?

In summary: If so, I'd recommend you get a pre- calculus book like "Calculus for the Life Sciences." It covers a lot of the basics of calculus and helps you understand the concepts behind it.OK, but what are your goals. Few people will recognize an online degree. If you want to work in astronomy eventually, then you can't get there by studying on the internet. If you just want to learn more about it because you're interested, then I don't see why recognition matters.At your age your best bet is to focus on your high school classes and on getting into a recognized physics/astrophysics/astronomy degree programme, if your aim is to become a professional astronomer/astrophysicist
Armando Valle
hello everyone, can someone help me know where I can take a course in astronomy / cosmology on the Internet where you get recognition and diploma and to get on with my passion of the universe? This means a lot to me and I want to move on in my passion. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could take an online college course on astronomy? If so, try this. It's postgraduate, I will warn; it was the best I could find.

Alternatively, you can learn astronomy for free (but you won't get credit/recognition) at Khan Academy.

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

while this is more aimed at general theoretical physics, it has a lot of links to resources for basic (and for that matter intermediate and advanced) physics you will need as prerequisites, as well as some specifically astro things (GR, cosmo, and the astro sections)

The overall article/"guide" written by a Nobel laureate as well so you can be reasonably assured of it's accuracy. The individual resources (lecture notes etc) are not necessarily and may vary in quality, but one would assume he's picked good representative examples.

Armando Valle said:
hello everyone, can someone help me know where I can take a course in astronomy / cosmology on the Internet where you get recognition and diploma and to get on with my passion of the universe? This means a lot to me and I want to move on in my passion. thanks

What do you mean by 'recognition and diploma'? Are you looking to get a degree in astronomy/cosmology? If so, you're best bet is to find an actual college that offers such programs.

Likes Student100 and RooksAndBooks
In addition to what others have said, here is a very good applet: http://astro.unl.edu/naap/

That's just for self study, you won't get a degree or meet any requirement from it. Drakkith's post is dead on about actually obtaining a degree, you're going to want to find a university program.

I think he means something like Coursera. Where you get a certificate upon completion. Correct me if I am wrong.

I would personally buy a book and self-study it. Get into the habit of self-studying things you are interested in. It will give you an edge in college because you actually learned how to learn and not memorize factoids.

Likes RooksAndBooks
MidgetDwarf said:
I think he means something like Coursera. Where you get a certificate upon completion. Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe, but I don't see the point really in doing that. A certificate that you completed an astronomy course probably isn't worth the paper it was printed on.

im 17 years old in hight school and i love astronomy/astrophysics

can someone recommend me astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology/ applying quantum mechanics or separated books please

Armando Valle said:
im 17 years old in hight school and i love astronomy/astrophysics

OK, but what are your goals. Few people will recognize an online degree. If you want to work in astronomy eventually, then you can't get there by studying on the internet. If you just want to learn more about it because you're interested, then I don't see why recognition matters.

At your age your best bet is to focus on your high school classes and on getting into a recognized physics/astrophysics/astronomy degree programme, if your aim is to become a professional astronomer/astrophysicist. While you're doing that, you can try to get involved in any astro related things going on in your area.

Some examples could be; tracking meteorites (there's a UK wide initiative to track meteorites for example that one of the first year physicists last year was involved in during high school); see if there are any observatories near you that you can try to get involved in as a volunteer or something (our SpaceX society are building a radio telescope in Cornwall and we're trying to get local schools involved through various outreach programmes); astro related science fair projects (e.g. observational stuff, or something more theoretical along the lines of desigining a radio telescope or a computational interferometry project using open source data).

However you should focus on your studies first and foremost.

Armando Valle said:
can someone recommend me astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology/ applying quantum mechanics or separated books please

What kind of books are you looking for? Are you wanting to learn the actual physics behind these fields, or are you just wanting more of an overview and a non-math approach?

non math approach please

Armando Valle said:
non math approach please
It is funner with the math and more useful! Do you calculus?

1. What are the best websites for studying astronomy online?

There are many great websites for studying astronomy online. Some popular options include NASA's website, Space.com, and Astronomy.com. You can also check out online courses from universities such as Harvard and MIT.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning about astronomy?

Yes, there are plenty of free online resources for learning about astronomy. Some examples include Khan Academy, Coursera, and OpenStax. You can also find many informative videos on YouTube and podcasts on platforms like Spotify.

3. Can I earn a degree in astronomy through online studies?

Yes, there are several universities that offer online degree programs in astronomy, such as the University of Arizona and Penn State University. However, keep in mind that some hands-on laboratory work may still be required.

4. Is it possible to interact with others while studying astronomy online?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums where you can interact with fellow astronomy enthusiasts and experts. You can also join virtual study groups or attend online workshops and conferences to connect with others who share your interest.

5. What are some other ways to study astronomy besides online resources?

In addition to online resources, you can also study astronomy through books, documentaries, and visiting observatories or planetariums. You can also attend local astronomy clubs and events to learn from experienced astronomers and participate in stargazing activities.