1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey guys, is physics right for me?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    This question may have been asked hundreds of times before in one form or another. If that's the case, simply point me in that direction but please read through what I have to say first.

I am finishing up my second semester as a physics major with my science courses being: Physics 201, Physics 202; CompSci 220 and CompSci230 DataStructures; Calc A & B. I've been doing pretty well overall and will have a 3.7 gpa after the semester's over if all goes as planned. Studying and writing classes are keeping me from the 4.0 but the studying issue's been solved and the writing classes don't matter to me.

I am set on majoring in physics in the fall. Calculus and Physics have been my favorite courses so far. I've been doing very well in the physics course. What I haven't been able to do is actually grasp the concepts completely in my first two physics courses. Is this a sign that I should heed lest I waste time and money pursuing a career that will end with me getting a job instead of my pH.D? I'm free to answer any questions about my interests in the subjects and how well I grasp things and all that, I just didn't think I should open up the topic with a page of writing. What's confusing me is that my interest is there in physics to a certain degree but I am certainly not in LOVE with it; it's an interest of mine and something that I don't mind doing. there's much more to this, though, so all questions, again, are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

fss

To me, this sentence doesn't indicate you'd be very successful even at the undergraduate level in physics.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    How does that mean much? I'm in one physics class with 20 other kids being taught by a teacher that hardly speaks english. It's hard to pay attention in class but I still find the time to read the chapters in my free time and, for the most part, enjoy reading the chapters. Most of the time, though, it's not a burning interest of mine. I find physics interesting and fun so far and expect that interest to grow as I learn more about it.

I'm just curious as to how easy the concepts should come to me.

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
    I'm in the same boat as you almost. I'm just about to finish up my EM and Sampler (Thermodynamics, Optics, Waves, etc) classes and I feel like I don't have a really good grasp on the concepts. I'm getting the grades like you are so I'm able to do what is being asked, I just don't feel like I could explain the "why" questions.

However, I don't think that's an issue if you really have a passion for it. I try to remind myself that I'm learning the simplest problems and solutions at this level in my education, and as such can't be expected to answer many of the "why" questions, only the "how" questions.

For me, it's my compulsive need to answer the "why" questions that lets me know that I've picked the right major.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook