Hey guys, is physics right for me?

• Thread starter some_letters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey Physics
In summary: I have countless conversations with people who are in various fields but don't enjoy it because they can't answer the "why" questions. They say things like "I just do it", "It's what I'm supposed to do", or "It's in my blood". To me, that just isn't good enough. I want to know why I'm doing something, not just doing it. That's why I'm pursuing a career in physics. I want to know the "why" behind everything. In summary, despite struggling in the first two physics courses, the author has a strong passion for the subject and expects that to grow as they learn more.
some_letters
This question may have been asked hundreds of times before in one form or another. If that's the case, simply point me in that direction but please read through what I have to say first.

I am finishing up my second semester as a physics major with my science courses being: Physics 201, Physics 202; CompSci 220 and CompSci230 DataStructures; Calc A & B. I've been doing pretty well overall and will have a 3.7 gpa after the semester's over if all goes as planned. Studying and writing classes are keeping me from the 4.0 but the studying issue's been solved and the writing classes don't matter to me.

I am set on majoring in physics in the fall. Calculus and Physics have been my favorite courses so far. I've been doing very well in the physics course. What I haven't been able to do is actually grasp the concepts completely in my first two physics courses. Is this a sign that I should heed lest I waste time and money pursuing a career that will end with me getting a job instead of my pH.D? I'm free to answer any questions about my interests in the subjects and how well I grasp things and all that, I just didn't think I should open up the topic with a page of writing. What's confusing me is that my interest is there in physics to a certain degree but I am certainly not in LOVE with it; it's an interest of mine and something that I don't mind doing. there's much more to this, though, so all questions, again, are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's an interest of mine and something that I don't mind doing.

To me, this sentence doesn't indicate you'd be very successful even at the undergraduate level in physics.

How does that mean much? I'm in one physics class with 20 other kids being taught by a teacher that hardly speaks english. It's hard to pay attention in class but I still find the time to read the chapters in my free time and, for the most part, enjoy reading the chapters. Most of the time, though, it's not a burning interest of mine. I find physics interesting and fun so far and expect that interest to grow as I learn more about it.

I'm just curious as to how easy the concepts should come to me.

I'm in the same boat as you almost. I'm just about to finish up my EM and Sampler (Thermodynamics, Optics, Waves, etc) classes and I feel like I don't have a really good grasp on the concepts. I'm getting the grades like you are so I'm able to do what is being asked, I just don't feel like I could explain the "why" questions.

However, I don't think that's an issue if you really have a passion for it. I try to remind myself that I'm learning the simplest problems and solutions at this level in my education, and as such can't be expected to answer many of the "why" questions, only the "how" questions.

For me, it's my compulsive need to answer the "why" questions that let's me know that I've picked the right major.

First of all, congratulations on completing your second semester as a physics major and maintaining a strong GPA. It's great to hear that you have a strong interest in physics and have been doing well in your courses so far.

It's not uncommon for students to struggle with grasping concepts in their first few physics courses. Physics is a complex subject and it takes time and practice to fully understand and apply the concepts. It's important to remember that just because you may not fully grasp the concepts in your first two courses, it doesn't mean that physics is not the right path for you. It's a challenging subject, but with hard work and dedication, you can continue to excel in your studies.

It's also important to consider your level of interest in physics. While it's great that you have an interest in the subject, it's important to have a passion for it if you want to pursue a career in physics. Think about why you chose to major in physics in the first place and what aspects of the subject you find most intriguing. If you are not in love with it, it may be worth exploring other science fields to see if there is a better fit for you.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a career in physics or continue with your studies should be based on a combination of your interest, aptitude, and future career goals. It's important to have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve with a physics degree and how it aligns with your career aspirations. I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor or a career counselor to discuss your options and explore potential career paths in physics. They can also provide guidance on how to strengthen your understanding of the concepts and succeed in your studies.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your future endeavors in the field of physics. Remember, it's never too late to change your path and find what truly inspires you. Keep exploring and learning, and you will find your way.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.

2. Is physics a difficult subject?

Physics can be challenging because it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the concepts and excel in the subject.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, education, healthcare, finance, and technology. Some common job titles for physics graduates include physicist, engineer, data analyst, and science educator.

4. Can someone without a strong background in math still pursue physics?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial for studying physics, it is not a prerequisite. With determination and effort, one can develop the necessary mathematical skills to succeed in physics.

5. How can I tell if physics is the right career path for me?

If you are curious about the workings of the physical world and have a passion for problem-solving, then physics may be a good fit for you. It is also important to consider your interests and strengths, as well as the career opportunities available in the field.