1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi and point charge vector question

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Hi all this is my first post. This looks like a great forum and hopefully I can contribute in some way to the discussion. I have a question about JPEG I attached; hopefully you all can see it.

What is the strategy for "reducing the charges"? For instance, why is -3q reduced to -2q and -2q reduced to -q etc.? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Jim

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me that someone wanted to create a new problem (with different charges) without redoing the diagram. They just crossed out the old charges and wrote in the new charges. The fields from the three non-zero charges are labeled E1, E2, & E3.

4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    I think they simplified the problem by removing some charges, which cancel out to 0. It just makes it easier to compute.

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the input. Like awvvu said, it was just a simplification of the problem that made it easier to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?