Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hi and point charge vector question

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Hi all this is my first post. This looks like a great forum and hopefully I can contribute in some way to the discussion. I have a question about JPEG I attached; hopefully you all can see it.

What is the strategy for "reducing the charges"? For instance, why is -3q reduced to -2q and -2q reduced to -q etc.? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Jim

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me that someone wanted to create a new problem (with different charges) without redoing the diagram. They just crossed out the old charges and wrote in the new charges. The fields from the three non-zero charges are labeled E1, E2, & E3.

4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    I think they simplified the problem by removing some charges, which cancel out to 0. It just makes it easier to compute.

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the input. Like awvvu said, it was just a simplification of the problem that made it easier to solve.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook