1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi, I have a problem. Its logarithms.

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    325*(0.8)^t=5

Can anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should probably take a logarithm. What are you having trouble with? You have to explain where you're getting stuck

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you say "it's logarithms", you probably already know what you should do- the whole point of logarithms is that they "inverse" to exponentials: log(a^x)= x log(a), getting the "x" out of the exponent.

Rather that take the logarithm immediately (which is possible), I would reduce this to a "bare" exponential by dividing both sides by 325: (0.8)^t= 5/325= 1/65. Now take the logarithm of both sides. (Any logarithm will do. Common log (base 10) or natural log (base e), which are on a calculator, will give the same answer.)

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
    Like in any equation you have isolate the unknown.

This looks to be High School level. You are properly familar with the function

[tex]y(t) = b \cdot a^t[/tex] ???

Then if you have to find t you use standard elimation such as : [tex]\frac{y(t)}{b} = a^t[/tex]

take the logaritm on both sides of equality and use this fact to isolate t (remember [tex]a^t = t \cdot log(a))[/tex]

Then the eqn is solved my friend :)

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Correction, [tex]log(a^t)=tlog(a)[/tex]

7. Sep 23, 2010 #6
    bang you got me chief :D

8. Sep 23, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I'll let you off this time, but you just better be getting the heck on outta here and never let me see your face around these parts of town again, ya hear!?

:wink:

9. Sep 23, 2010 #8
    Well I didn't know there was a new sherif in these here parts of the Intermerwebs :)

10. Sep 23, 2010 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Actually I'm still a chief. I keep civility by day, and smoke my peace pipe by night. Oh and I happen to help with homework every now and again :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook