Hi I would really appreciate some guidance. I am currently enrolled

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a Masters in theoretical physics with a degree in engineering physics. It is mentioned that in the US, it is not common to register for a Masters in Physics and it is more common to go straight from a bachelor's degree to a PhD. However, in Canada, it is more common to first complete a Master's program before pursuing a PhD. The individual is concerned that a degree in engineering physics may not provide enough preparation for a Masters in theoretical physics and is considering switching to a physics program for their second year of studies.
fys iks!
Hi I would really appreciate some guidance. I am currently enrolled in an engineering program and am about to finish my first year. The program i am is has a common first year then branches off in second year, i plan on perusing Engineering Physics.

I have a very deep interest in theoretical physics though and know i would really like to peruse this as a masters degree.

My question is will i be able to do a masters in theoretical physics with a degree in engineering physics? Or should i switch into a physics program for second year?

Like will i really be missing a lot by doing engineering physics vs physics from a theoretical view?

Physics news on Phys.org

I take it you are not in the US - in the US, one rarely registers for a Masters in Physics. Here, you can definitely get into a Graduate program in Physics, after majoring in Engineering Physics, but I couldn't speak for other countries.

thanks for the reply.

Ya I am in Canada. Is there a reason for why a lot of people do not pursue graduate studies?

And i know i can do grad studies in physics with an eng phys degree. But if i were to do grad studies i would want it to be in theoretical physics, and this is why i am worried that a degree in eng phys won't be enough to prepare me .

fys iks! said:
Ya I am in Canada. Is there a reason for why a lot of people do not pursue graduate studies?

Gokul didn't say that, he said that it was not common to study for masters courses; I think it's usual in the US to go straight from bachelor level to PhD. Of course, this is not true around the world, and there certainly do exist many masters of science courses in physics in other countries.

And i know i can do grad studies in physics with an eng phys degree. But if i were to do grad studies i would want it to be in theoretical physics, and this is why i am worried that a degree in eng phys won't be enough to prepare me .

If you are interested now in studying theoretical physics at a higher level, then it seems natural to switch to an undergrad degree in physics, since this will give you better preparation, and make your application more competitive.

In Canada, you usually get admitted to a Master's program first, and either finish (and leave or go on to Ph.D) or flip over to a PhD if they think your work is sufficient to do so. Unlike the US, it's considered the step before a PhD to determine if you can do novel research, not a consolation prize.

Last edited:

1. What resources are available to help me with my current research project?

As a scientist, there are many resources available to help you with your research. These can include online databases, research journals, scientific conferences, and collaborations with other scientists. It is also helpful to reach out to your advisor or colleagues for guidance and support.

2. How can I ensure the validity and accuracy of my experimental results?

There are several steps you can take to ensure the validity and accuracy of your experimental results. These include proper experimental design, controlling for variables, using appropriate controls, and replicating experiments. It is also important to thoroughly analyze and interpret your data.

3. What are some effective ways to present my findings to a scientific audience?

Effective presentation of your findings is crucial in the scientific community. Some ways to present your research include writing research articles for publication in scientific journals, creating presentations for conferences, and creating visual aids such as graphs and charts. It is also important to clearly and concisely communicate your results and their significance.

4. How can I stay organized and manage my time effectively while conducting research?

Managing time and staying organized are important skills for any scientist. Some ways to do this include creating a research plan and schedule, setting realistic goals, using organization tools such as calendars and to-do lists, and prioritizing tasks based on their importance. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

5. What steps should I take to ensure ethical practices in my research?

Ethical practices are an important aspect of scientific research. It is important to follow ethical guidelines set by your institution or professional organization, obtain proper consent from participants, and properly handle and report any conflicts of interest. It is also important to maintain the confidentiality of research participants and adhere to ethical principles such as honesty and integrity in your research.