1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi I would really appreciate some guidance. I am currently enrolled

  1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    Hi I would really appreciate some guidance. I am currently enrolled in an engineering program and am about to finish my first year. The program i am is has a common first year then branches off in second year, i plan on perusing Engineering Physics.

    I have a very deep interest in theoretical physics though and know i would really like to peruse this as a masters degree.

    My question is will i be able to do a masters in theoretical physics with a degree in engineering physics? Or should i switch in to a physics program for second year?

    Like will i really be missing a lot by doing engineering physics vs physics from a theoretical view?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Re: Confuzzald...

    I take it you are not in the US - in the US, one rarely registers for a Masters in Physics. Here, you can definitely get into a Graduate program in Physics, after majoring in Engineering Physics, but I couldn't speak for other countries.
  4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    Re: Confuzzald...

    thanks for the reply.

    Ya im in Canada. Is there a reason for why alot of people do not pursue graduate studies?

    And i know i can do grad studies in physics with an eng phys degree. But if i were to do grad studies i would want it to be in theoretical physics, and this is why i am worried that a degree in eng phys wont be enough to prepare me .
  5. Feb 25, 2010 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Re: Confuzzald...

    Gokul didn't say that, he said that it was not common to study for masters courses; I think it's usual in the US to go straight from bachelor level to PhD. Of course, this is not true around the world, and there certainly do exist many masters of science courses in physics in other countries.

    If you are interested now in studying theoretical physics at a higher level, then it seems natural to switch to an undergrad degree in physics, since this will give you better preparation, and make your application more competitive.
  6. Feb 25, 2010 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Re: Confuzzald...

    In Canada, you usually get admitted to a Master's program first, and either finish (and leave or go on to Ph.D) or flip over to a PhD if they think your work is sufficient to do so. Unlike the US, it's considered the step before a PhD to determine if you can do novel research, not a consolation prize.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - really appreciate guidance Date
Schools Is a C grade in thermo really bad? May 8, 2017
Studying Okay , so if you write a couple of really good papers and yo Feb 7, 2017
Courses Particle physics vs engineering (advice is much appreciated) Jan 12, 2017
Courses Not really sure how many classes to take... Jan 8, 2017