Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi,I'm trying to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\Gamma(x) =

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\Gamma(x) = \infty[/tex] but I'm having a little trouble understanding.

Using the recurrence relation [tex]\Gamma(x)=\frac{\Gamma(x+1)}{x}[/tex] you can see that as the denominator tends towards zero, you'd expect the whole thing to get bigger and bigger...
    but doesn't that mean that the numerator will get bigger and bigger as well because the next value of [itex]\Gamma(x)[/itex] will be bigger as well so it won't tend to infinity?

So how do you show this formally? Is there some mathematical was of quantifying how quickly the function tends towards infinity?

With many thanks,

Froskoy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    Re: Gamma(0)

No, the next value is [itex]\Gamma(1)=\lim_{x\to 0}x \Gamma(x)[/itex]: using the previous limit would give [itex]0\times\infty[/itex] which is undetermined.
    You are on the right track with the recurrence relation: can you find an expression for [itex]\Gamma(1+x)[/itex] when [itex]x\to0[/itex]?

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think it's easier using the definition of the Gamma function:

[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0}{ \int_0^{+\infty}{ e^{-t}t^zdt } }[/tex]

Now use the theorem of dominated convergence to interchange limit and integral.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4

x -> 0
    Gamma(1+x) -> Gamma(1) = 1
    x = Gamma(1+x)/x -> 1/x -> infinity

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5

Thanks everyone! It is much clearer now and I have done it both ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook