Hi This is a really trivial comment in my notes but for some

  • Thread starter Thread starter D44
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hi Notes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
D44
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Hi

This is a really trivial comment in my notes but for some reason I'm not seeing it...

The following image demonstrates the perpendicular distance from an origin to the line of action of the force given as x*sin(x,F). So the moment, M = f*x*sin(x,F) which I understand.

But why is it sin? Why not cos or tan? I understand trig, I just can't see how this is working. Maybe because of the positioning of the angle?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org


You'll need to attach or otherwise link to the image.
 


D44 said:
Hi

This is a really trivial comment in my notes but for some reason I'm not seeing it...

The following image demonstrates the perpendicular distance from an origin to the line of action of the force given as x*sin(x,F). So the moment, M = f*x*sin(x,F) which I understand.

But why is it sin? Why not cos or tan? I understand trig, I just can't see how this is working. Maybe because of the positioning of the angle?

Thanks in advance

The vector formula for moment is τ = r x F. In your notation, r = x and F = F.

The magnitude of r x F is |r|*|F|*sinθ where θ is the angle between r and F. This is strictly a mathematical definition.
 


Apologies
 
Attachments
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 441