Hidden boxthe under the surface of earth is missing

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a box being buried underground and being lost due to the movement of tectonic plates. It is suggested that the box could potentially move with the plates and be lost over time. However, the rate of plate movement may not be fast enough for this to occur. The credibility of this theory is questioned and further research is suggested.
shiva999
i read that if you hide a box under the surface of Earth by covering it,then if try to recover it after some hundreds of years you won't find it as box adjusts to other place is it true? explain

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect this is talking about plate techtonics. And I was going to say that plates simply do not move fast enough. But then I found, at http://hypertextbook.com/facts/ZhenHuang.shtml, that plates can move as fast as 10 cm/year which, over, say, 500 years, would amount to 5000 cm= 50 m. Now, that certainly is enough that you could "lose" an object carried along with the plate.

At the same rate as your finger nails grow I have heard.

Where did you read that? We need to establish if it might be true before establishing why it might be true.

HallsofIvy said:
I suspect this is talking about plate techtonics. And I was going to say that plates simply do not move fast enough. But then I found, at http://hypertextbook.com/facts/ZhenHuang.shtml, that plates can move as fast as 10 cm/year which, over, say, 500 years, would amount to 5000 cm= 50 m. Now, that certainly is enough that you could "lose" an object carried along with the plate.

You would have to bury the box really deep, for the techtonic plate to move without the box. In fact the box would then float away with the magma.

HallsofIvy said:

The problem is that surface objects such as trees, rocks, houses, etc. will all be moving at the same rate and in the same direction so a box buried half way between a tree and a rock will still be half way between the tree and the rock, even if all 3 have moved 50 meters.

1. Where is the hidden box located?

The hidden box is located under the surface of the earth, but its exact location is unknown.

2. How big is the hidden box?

The size of the hidden box is also unknown, but it is believed to be small enough to be hidden under the surface of the earth.

3. Who discovered the hidden box?

The hidden box has not been officially discovered, but there have been rumors and theories about its existence.

4. What is inside the hidden box?

Since the hidden box has not been found, it is impossible to say what is inside. Some speculate that it could contain valuable treasures or ancient artifacts.

5. Why is the hidden box missing?

The reason for the hidden box's disappearance is unknown. It could have been moved or destroyed over time, or it may have never existed in the first place.