1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hidden boxthe under the surface of earth is missing

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    i read that if you hide a box under the surface of earth by covering it,then if try to recover it after some hundreds of years you wont find it as box adjusts to other place is it true? explain

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect this is talking about plate techtonics. And I was going to say that plates simply do not move fast enough. But then I found, at http://hypertextbook.com/facts/ZhenHuang.shtml, that plates can move as fast as 10 cm/year which, over, say, 500 years, would amount to 5000 cm= 50 m. Now, that certainly is enough that you could "lose" an object carried along with the plate.

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3
    At the same rate as your finger nails grow I have heard.

5. Aug 12, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Where did you read that? We need to establish if it might be true before establishing why it might be true.

6. Aug 12, 2011 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would have to bury the box really deep, for the techtonic plate to move without the box. In fact the box would then float away with the magma.

7. Aug 12, 2011 #6
  8. Aug 13, 2011 #7
    Re: hidden box the under the surface of earth is missing

The problem is that surface objects such as trees, rocks, houses, etc. will all be moving at the same rate and in the same direction so a box buried half way between a tree and a rock will still be half way between the tree and the rock, even if all 3 have moved 50 meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook