How many points can be found in the surface of the Earth?

In summary: I believe that we can comprehend the size of an infinity, but I don't believe we can describe levels of infinities.
IuGran44
The other day I was wondering if as the universe is infinite and you can say that every single point in it is the centre of the universe, or that there is no centre for the same matter. Since you are not able to set up a centre in Earth's surface. Is then Earth's surface infinite?

When you talk about straights in an x and y axis, you notice that they are endless, and therefore, they have infinite points. You cannot set up a centre in that line because it is infinite.

Actually my question is also applicable to a sphere such as a regular tennis ball.
What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
IuGran44 said:
The other day I was wondering if as the universe is infinite and you can say that every single point in it is the centre of the universe, or that there is no centre for the same matter.

Our best guess is that there is no centre to the universe.

Since you are not able to set up a centre in Earth's surface. Is then Earth's surface infinite?

I haven't a clue how those two ideas might relate to each other. Why should the universe not having a centre imply that the surface of the Earth is infinite?

You seem to be mixing two different uses of infinite. There are an infinite number of points on the Earth's surface,etc. However the Earth is of finite size.

IuGran44 said:
The other day I was wondering if as the universe is infinite and you can say that every single point in it is the centre of the universe, or that there is no centre for the same matter. Since you are not able to set up a centre in Earth's surface. Is then Earth's surface infinite
The correct term is unbounded. A sphere is a 2D manifold which is finite but unbounded.

At this point we believe that the universe is unbounded, but we don't know if the universe is finite or infinite. If it is finite then the analogy with a sphere would be pretty strong.

Likes FactChecker
Good ole' Zeno's paradox. It's fun to think about, but beyond human comprehension.

Some infinities are just smaller than others. Points & lines are small infinities contained within planes, which are larger infinities. Planes compose three dimensional shapes which are the largest infinity that we can perceive. There may be higher or lower dimensions with larger infinities or smaller ones, but we as 3D beings could never truly understand them. (Probably)

Borrah Campbell said:
Good ole' Zeno's paradox. It's fun to think about, but beyond human comprehension.
That's ridiculous. Zeno's Paradox is thoroughly understood.
Some infinities are just smaller than others. Points & lines are small infinities contained within planes, which are larger infinities. Planes compose three dimensional shapes which are the largest infinity that we can perceive. There may be higher or lower dimensions with larger infinities or smaller ones, but we as 3D beings could never truly understand them. (Probably)
Only slightly less ridiculous. You are correct that there are different levels of infinity (although you examples are poor) but mathematically, they are understood. Were do you get this concept that infinities cannot be understood?

Likes Markus Hanke
phinds said:
That's ridiculous. Zeno's Paradox is thoroughly understood.
Only slightly less ridiculous. You are correct that there are different levels of infinity (although you examples are poor) but mathematically, they are understood. Were do you get this concept that infinities cannot be understood?

I should've worded this a bit more carefully... When I said beyond human comprehension, I meant it in a more literal sense. We literally are unable to comprehend the size of an infinity, or one infinity fitting inside another. I understand that we can describe lines, planes, and infinities mathematically.

Borrah Campbell said:
I should've worded this a bit more carefully... When I said beyond human comprehension, I meant it in a more literal sense. We literally are unable to comprehend the size of an infinity, or one infinity fitting inside another. I understand that we can describe lines, planes, and infinities mathematically.
I do agree that that statement is MUCH better worded, but I disagree with it completely. It is, I believe, perfectly well understandable (and understood) by mathematicians how levels of infinities exist. I can only conclude that you have read little mathematics. As you read more, you'll see what I mean.

We're arguing over semantics here. I believe I answered the question just fine in an easy to understand way. Sure, you've probably read more math than I have, but that doesn't mean you can visualize 1 infinity baseballs. We're both right, share your cake with me.

Borrah Campbell said:
We're arguing over semantics here. I believe I answered the question just fine in an easy to understand way. Sure, you've probably read more math than I have, but that doesn't mean you can visualize 1 infinity baseballs. We're both right, share your cake with me.
Well, there are two parts to your statement and I agree w/ the first part. I cannot speak for others but I'm with you in my inability to "visualize" or otherwise understand what infinity could be physically. The second part of your statement is that it cannot be understood how levels of infinity exist. I disagree w/ you there and that is where I think you'll change your mind if you read more math.

Borrah Campbell said:
We literally are unable to comprehend the size of an infinity, or one infinity fitting inside another. I understand that we can describe lines, planes, and infinities mathematically.
Math is a product of and a tool for our understanding. To say that we cannot understand something but that we can describe it mathematically is, in my opinion, a self contradiction.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Well, there are two parts to your statement and I agree w/ the first part. I cannot speak for others but I'm with you in my inability to "visualize" or otherwise understand what infinity could be physically. The second part of your statement is that it cannot be understood how levels of infinity exist. I disagree w/ you there and that is where I think you'll change your mind if you read more math.

For the other levels of infinity, I was referring to the physical existence of objects that are infinitely larger or smaller than what we can see. The fourth dimension (time) may give objects a shape that we can't actually see... And there may be higher dimensions still. Some versions of string theory consider many dimensions of space. Not just three.

And I believe the crux of the OP's topic was the problem of the Earth having infinite surface area.

Dale said:
Math is a product of and a tool for our understanding. To say that we cannot understand something but that we can describe it mathematically is, in my opinion, a self contradiction.

I don't think so. I know that one infinity can fit inside of another in math. The problem is that this also appears to be true in the physical world, not just in math... And I do not understand it. That is why I take it that this problem "Zenos Paradox" is beyond understanding. The concept of infinity makes perfect sense when just referring to mathematics, but when applied to a physical object like Earth's surface it defies explanation... Or at least I haven't heard one that I can understand.

Borrah Campbell said:
I don't think so. I know that one infinity can fit inside of another in math. The problem is that this also appears to be true in the physical world, not just in math... And I do not understand it. That is why I take it that this problem "Zenos Paradox" is beyond understanding. The concept of infinity makes perfect sense when just referring to mathematics, but when applied to a physical object like Earth's surface it defies explanation... Or at least I haven't heard one that I can understand.
It sounds to me like you've never read a good explanation of Zeno's Paradox and don't really quite understand it. It is a MISUSE of an infinity that leads to the actually non-existent "paradox".

Borrah Campbell said:
And I do not understand it.
Then state only that YOU do not understand it. Do not generalize your own conceptual challenge to everyone.

In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. -John Von Neumann

Likes Yterzom

1. How many points can be found in the surface of the Earth?

The surface of the Earth is constantly changing, so it is impossible to determine an exact number of points. However, if we consider the surface of the Earth to be a perfect sphere, then there are an infinite number of points on the surface.

2. Is there a maximum number of points that can be found on the surface of the Earth?

No, there is no maximum number of points on the surface of the Earth. As mentioned before, the surface is constantly changing and there is an infinite number of points if we consider it to be a perfect sphere.

3. How do scientists measure the number of points on the Earth's surface?

Scientists use various methods such as satellite imagery, surveying, and mapping to measure and track changes on the Earth's surface. They also use mathematical models to estimate the number of points on the surface.

4. Are all points on the Earth's surface accessible?

No, not all points on the Earth's surface are accessible. Some points may be located in remote or inaccessible areas such as the ocean floor or polar regions. Additionally, some points may be on private property or protected areas that are not open to the public.

5. How does the Earth's topography affect the number of points on its surface?

The Earth's topography, or the physical features of its surface, can greatly impact the number of points on its surface. For example, areas with mountains, valleys, and plateaus will have more points than flat, featureless areas. This also applies to the ocean floor, where underwater mountains and trenches can create more points on the Earth's surface.