Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences of the Higgs field suddenly disappearing and the impact it would have on particles, including the possibility of them traveling at the speed of light. The conversation also touches on the topic of antimatter and its potential as a weapon for planetary defense or destruction. However, it is noted that the amount of antimatter needed to destroy a planet would be nearly impossible to produce and would require an enormous amount of time and resources.
Varon
http://science.discovery.com/tv/through-the-wormhole/episodes/what-are-we-made-of/

Discovery channel is running a very excellent episode on particle physics & the LHC hosted by Morgan Freeman and they mentioned something which I want to inquire further.

It is mentioned in the program that if the higgs field suddenly vanish, all particles (like electrons, etc.) will travel at the speed of light?? Is it true? So if the electrons and quarks in my body would suddenly be without higgs influenced. I can fly at or near the speed of light??

Half gram of antimatter is said to produce explosion like in the hiroshima nukes. So how many pounds of antimatter would it take to destroy the entire planet? How do you calculate it? This would make a great future defense against comets or meteors on collision course to earth, as well as make a excellent planet destroyer weapon to be deployed on other planets beyond the solar system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is mentioned in the program that if the higgs field suddenly vanish, all particles (like electrons, etc.) will travel at the speed of light?? Is it true?
Varon, I'm afraid what this mostly illustrates is that if you assume something that is impossible to begin with, you can conclude anything you want. If the Higgs boson is an essential part of nature, and that part suddenly disappeared, who can say what else would need to change, or what the resulting universe would look like.

Bill_K said:
Varon, I'm afraid what this mostly illustrates is that if you assume something that is impossible to begin with, you can conclude anything you want. If the Higgs boson is an essential part of nature, and that part suddenly disappeared, who can say what else would need to change, or what the resulting universe would look like.

I'm just asking what if a stationary electron suddenly loses the higgs coupling. Would it suddenly accelerate to the speed of light?

Hmm.. how come the photon keeps on running at speed of light and doesn't slow down. Is it because it has no higgs coupling or it's because of certain properties of the photons?

I'm just asking what if a stationary electron suddenly loses the Higgs coupling. Would it suddenly accelerate to the speed of light?
I understood the question, and I'll repeat my answer. Designing a universe is not like picking items from a Chinese menu. Everything is interrelated, and you can't just ask questions like "What if there were no electrons?" because maybe that makes the entire universe impossible.

For instance, some particles carry charge. But as far as we know, massless particles can't be charged. So there's more to it than just everything moving at the speed of light.

Bill_K said:
I understood the question, and I'll repeat my answer. Designing a universe is not like picking items from a Chinese menu. Everything is interrelated, and you can't just ask questions like "What if there were no electrons?" because maybe that makes the entire universe impossible.

For instance, some particles carry charge. But as far as we know, massless particles can't be charged. So there's more to it than just everything moving at the speed of light.

Ok. So I wonder why photons run at full ceiling of spacetime speed? Beside no mass, maybe it's because it's a light. But neutrinos also run at the near ceiling speed. So mass may be what's slowering it down. But a charge particle like electron without mass.. i wonder how fast can it run automatically relative to c. Hmm...

Varon said:
Ok. So I wonder why photons run at full ceiling of spacetime speed? Beside no mass, maybe it's because it's a light. But neutrinos also run at the near ceiling speed. So mass may be what's slowering it down. But a charge particle like electron without mass.. i wonder how fast can it run automatically relative to c. Hmm...

With no mass it could arguably travel at c. But it has mass. So it cant!

I bolded, underlined, italicized, and maxed the font size on that because that's the key here lol. Electrons have mass, so they cannot travel at c. Attempting to figure out if they could if they had no mass is a waste of time.

Varon said:
Half gram of antimatter is said to produce explosion like in the hiroshima nukes. So how many pounds of antimatter would it take to destroy the entire planet? How do you calculate it? This would make a great future defense against comets or meteors on collision course to earth, as well as make a excellent planet destroyer weapon to be deployed on other planets beyond the solar system.

What do you have against planets in other solar systems?

There was another thread recently about destroying the Earth https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=501339. To quote myself from that

I doubt one could, the Earth is ~6 billion trillion tonnes of matter. To completely break the Earth apart would require you to overcome the Gravitational Binding Energy of all the mass of the Earth, that would require 2.23E32 joules of energy.

That's the amount of energy needed to entirely destroy the Earth. You may be able to chip it away bit by bit but I'm pretty sure that would require just as much energy over time.

Using good old e=mc2 we can work out that we would need roughly 1.25 trillion tonnes of matter and 1.25 trillion tonnes of antimatter. However that is assuming that none of the energy is wasted i.e and explosion on the surface will radiate most of the energy up and out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the current rate of antimatter production is on the order of 10 nanograms per year. To produce 1.25 trillion tonnes would take a trillion, trillion years and cost $78,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. So...good luck with that

Last edited:

1. What is the Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield?

The Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield refers to the amount of energy released when a particle of Higgs and Antimatter collide and annihilate each other. This energy release is a result of the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

2. How is the explosive yield of Higgs and Antimatter calculated?

The explosive yield of Higgs and Antimatter is calculated using the formula E=mc², where m is the mass of the particles involved in the collision and c is the speed of light. This formula allows scientists to calculate the total amount of energy that will be released during the collision.

3. What is the potential use of Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield?

The potential use of Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield is still being researched and explored. Some theories suggest that it could be harnessed as a powerful and efficient source of energy, while others suggest it could be used in space travel and propulsion systems. However, the practical application of Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield is still a topic of much debate and further research is needed.

4. Are there any risks associated with studying or harnessing Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with studying and harnessing Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield. The energy released during a Higgs and Antimatter collision is incredibly powerful and could have destructive consequences if not properly contained and controlled. Additionally, the production and storage of antimatter is a complex and expensive process, making it currently impractical for large-scale use.

5. How does the study of Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of Higgs and Antimatter explosive yield is important in expanding our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It allows us to better understand the nature of matter and antimatter, as well as the principles of energy and mass conversion. Additionally, studying Higgs and Antimatter can help us understand the origins of the universe and the processes that govern its evolution.