Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Energy Electron- Proton Collison

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    I was wondering What would happen if one was to smash a High Energy Electron with a High Energy Proton lets say they both have a kinetic energy of 1 Tev.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

TWest, At such a high energy it doesn't matter much what you start with, all that matters is that you suddenly have 2 TeV's of energy. What this produces is pretty much independent of whether you're colliding electrons, protons, etc. You'll get a shower of every kind of particle you can name. If you think some kind of conservation law comes into play, forget it, all it takes is one photon to initiate the shower of debris.

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think one thing you can be sure of is getting at least one outgoing electron or electron-neutrino. It seems to me that the incoming electron has to either be scattered by interacting with something via photon or Z0 exchange, or be converted to an electron-neutrino via W exchange.

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4
    WHAT? Surely you are joking. As Jtbell has already stated (albeit in a round about way) you are going to have a bunch of applicable conservation laws. Energy, baryon number, and lepton number will be conserved of course.

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5
    Well, I was trying to figure this out because usually most particles are either 1/3, 2/3,1 Ec and since electrons are captured electron capture decay and Beta positive decay maybe it would be possible to force a piece of matter to pick up more than +1 or -1 ec like a proton that had 2+ Ec. Is that even possible to have a protonish particle with 2+ Ec cause I know that tauons and muons are basically electrons of higher mass could the charge be forced to do more or less the same thing? For Instance, What if the triple was formed with UUU or UTU. I realize that they strong nuclear force would never attempt these but could they be forced to bond with high energies?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. Jun 27, 2011 #6

jtbell

8. Jun 28, 2011 #7
    Oh....well now I feel stupid. Okay How do they hold together I always believed that their Color charge had to even out. If this is the case then how do they hold together?

9. Jun 28, 2011 #8

Drakkith

Could you elaborate a little more?

10. Jun 28, 2011 #9
    I mean I always believed that the strong nuclear force that held atoms and sub atomic particles together such as a proton or in this case the SCC or omega++ together had to be balanced isn't there a color charge system that the SNF obeys in a triplet? How does it bind something a electric charge greater than 1+ Ec.

11. Jun 28, 2011 #10

Drakkith

The color force IS the strong force.

12. Jun 28, 2011 #11
    I realize this Just as Electric charge's Forces are Electric and magnetic Forces and Energy's force is gravity in EFE or mass In Newtonian mechanics. My question is why does it bind these odd particles together? I thought this went against the laws of QCD I was hoping that you could explain this. I was under the impression that baryons had to be balanced with red green and blue color charges in order to form a SN bond between 3 quarks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook