Loss of electron & proton energy due to radiation

Summary:

Can you compare the energy loss of electrons and protons due to the radiation they emit?
Can you compare the energy loss of electrons and protons due to the radiation they emit? In fact, I want to know which of the two loses more energy when it emits radiation.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Summary:: Can you compare the energy loss of electrons and protons due to the radiation they emit?

Can you compare the energy loss of electrons and protons due to the radiation they emit? In fact, I want to know which of the two loses more energy when it emits radiation.
What radiation emissions are you talking about here?

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Radiative emissions from a point charge depend upon the motion (particularly the acceleration) and hence charge force and mass. For a more complicated system it is, well, more complicated.
For practical purposes neither particle will spontaneously "radiate" if isolated.

What radiation emissions are you talking about here?
Electromagnetic radiation

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Electromagnetic radiation
What scenario are you thinking of? An electron isn't constantly spontaneously emitting EM radiation. It creates an electric field - perhaps you are thinking of that?

What scenario are you thinking of? An electron isn't constantly spontaneously emitting EM radiation. It creates an electric field - perhaps you are thinking of that?
I did not mean spontaneously. Does it not emit radiation when the electron is accelerated?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Does it not emit radiation when the electron is accelerated?
That's the first you've mentioned acceleration. What sort of acceleration? Do you have a particular experiment in mind? If not, your question is like asking whether a car or a motorbike loses more energy when it brakes?

That's the first you've mentioned acceleration. What sort of acceleration? Do you have a particular experiment in mind? If not, your question is like asking whether a car or a motorbike loses more energy when it brakes?
I do not know its sort. Suppose it is inside a particle accelerator.