High paid (PHD) programming positions?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of career prospects for someone with a background in theoretical physics and programming skills. The individual is currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in physics and plans to apply for an MSc/PhD program in a programming-heavy research field. They are seeking advice on what industries offer the highest paid salaries for jobs that require a combination of physics and programming knowledge, as well as potential for advancement into high-ranking positions. The expert advises that knowing the highest salaries may not be useful, as it is a competitive market and there is limited space at the top. They also suggest considering a career in marketing and sales, as they are key to achieving financial success. Ultimately, the expert suggests either changing majors or reassessing career
Lengalicious
Ok so I am currently averaging 80-90% in my undergraduate course in theoretical physics in the UK, if all goes according to plan and my application gets accepted next year I would like to pursue my Msc/PHD in a programming heavy research field at Imperial College. So my question boils down to this, after getting my PHD I would like to work in a field that requires a substantial amount of programming. What are the highest paid salaries going around at the moment with said job description & what is going to be increasing in demand over the next few years (quantum computing?). I don't necessarily have to work in a Physics related field, I'm fairly open minded about how much Physics I will actually be utilizing within the job (I find equal amounts of satisfaction from generic programming as I do Physics/Maths). I have considered such fields as finance, actuary, software dev etc, I would like to know what other options are out there for me, also what industry has the potential for high ranking positions later on in ones career lifespan such as (CEO/Manager), that sort of thing. All input is welcomed and appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing the highest salaries isn't going to be much use to you. In the US at least, there are some programmers making over $200K per year *as programmers*, but they are very experienced in a niche that is in high demand. Most programmers make much less than that, and as a newly minted Ph.D., that will include you.

As for becoming a CEO, you might be interested in http://bus.wisc.edu/~/media/bus/mba/why%20wisconsin/statistical_snapshot_of_leading_ceos_relb3.ashx to get some idea of the typical educational qualifications of CEOs.

Programmers certainly make a good living in general, and there is also definitely a possibility of advancing into management. But if you want to make a *lot* of money, to be honest, getting a Ph.D. in physics and becoming a programmer is probably the wrong way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TMFKAN64 said:
Knowing the highest salaries isn't going to be much use to you. In the US at least, there are some programmers making over $200K per year *as programmers*, but they are very experienced in a niche that is in high demand. Most programmers make much less than that, and as a newly minted Ph.D., that will include you.

Well yes but its the same in almost every field, a doctor may end up having their own private practice and earning millions of dollars a year, on the contrary they may only be running a bunch of uninspired errands within some hospital cashing in on salaries similar to that of a highly experienced maths teacher. I want to narrow down professions with high career prospects that would require someone with a subset of skills such as myself. Also "programmers" as you say are a diverse bunch of people, its pretty generic. I don't necessarily aim to be a "programmer", I could set my goal to be a quant or actuary. The job description may require lots of maths or programming knowledge under ones belt and yes I may only ever earn the minimum salary possible within these professions but the odds are in my favor to expand on whatever I start out with and become successful at least later down the line.

I would just like to know of some other professions which may require programming as a skill and are renowned to have great potential for success in the similar way banking or actuary might. As a contrast if I said that I want to become a game designer, then it becomes blindingly obvious after a quick Google search that this just isn't a viable option. I understand I have to start at the bottom in whatever I do but it certainly doesn't hurt to be ambitious, just need to narrow down my options.

TMFKAN64 said:
Programmers certainly make a good living in general, and there is also definitely a possibility of advancing into management. But if you want to make a *lot* of money, to be honest, getting a Ph.D. in physics and becoming a programmer is probably the wrong way to do it.

That's understandable, out of curiosity could you name some routes that you might consider to be more direct. At the end of the day I could have spent my time studying for a maths Bsc with the sole intention of becoming an investment banker or something similar, but the competition is just too fierce and the job description fairly lack luster to consider it a "better" route. A Physics PHD may not be the fastest route but at least physics is an enjoyable pursuit along the journey. I imagine that there are a lot of successful people earning lots of money with Physics doctorates. The question I now pose is, what do these people do??

Last edited:
There is always limited space at the top. That's the number one reason why it doesn't make much sense to focus on top salaries. I'm sure if you crunch the numbers, dropping out of Harvard would probably be high on the list of top-grossing career plans.

I live in Silicon Valley, so perhaps my view of the world is slightly twisted. But it seems to me that the usual route to riches is to study/work in marketing, then hook up with some smart engineers and form a startup company. Marketing and sales are the key to riches.

Studying physics is fun, but it's unlikely to help you achieve your goals. So I think you should either change your major or change your goals.

TMFKAN64 said:
There is always limited space at the top. That's the number one reason why it doesn't make much sense to focus on top salaries. I'm sure if you crunch the numbers, dropping out of Harvard would probably be high on the list of top-grossing career plans.

I live in Silicon Valley, so perhaps my view of the world is slightly twisted. But it seems to me that the usual route to riches is to study/work in marketing, then hook up with some smart engineers and form a startup company. Marketing and sales are the key to riches.

Studying physics is fun, but it's unlikely to help you achieve your goals. So I think you should either change your major or change your goals.

My goals may have been a bit misconstrued, I may also have a slightly convoluted view of the real world but I have a feeling being successful outside of being a physicist is possible with a physics doctorate? I don't necessarily want "riches" if I JUST wanted money with zero job satisfaction I would be busting my gut to get banking internships right about now. I enjoy programming, I enjoy physics & would definitely like to dip my feet into real theoretical physics over the better part of the next half decade. I just want to know what my best options are in the long haul with a relatively sought after set of qualifications.

Is there anyone about who has been fairly successful and established as a programmer with a PHD in theoretical Physics? If so I would much like to hear their insight, cheers.

Last edited:
Let me turn the question around: how much money do you consider to be "a lot" for programming work?
How much would it take to satisfy you?

What is the average salary for a high paid (PHD) programming position?

The average salary for a high paid (PHD) programming position can vary depending on the company, industry, and location. However, on average, these positions can range from $100,000 to $150,000 per year.

What qualifications are required for a high paid (PHD) programming position?

To be considered for a high paid (PHD) programming position, most companies will require a PhD in a relevant field such as computer science, mathematics, or engineering. Other qualifications may include a strong background in programming languages, experience with specific software or tools, and a track record of published research.

What industries offer the most high paid (PHD) programming positions?

The industries that offer the most high paid (PHD) programming positions include technology, finance, healthcare, and government. These industries often require complex and specialized programming skills that can be best fulfilled by individuals with a PhD.

What are some common job titles for high paid (PHD) programming positions?

Some common job titles for high paid (PHD) programming positions include software engineer, data scientist, machine learning engineer, and research scientist. These positions may also have specific titles depending on the industry, such as quantitative analyst in finance or bioinformatics scientist in healthcare.

What skills are important for a successful high paid (PHD) programming position?

In addition to technical skills in programming and data analysis, successful high paid (PHD) programming positions also require strong communication and collaboration skills. These positions often involve working on complex projects with a team of researchers or developers, so the ability to communicate and work well with others is crucial.