Higher Level Physics - Problem Help

• Thread starter Mark Rice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, someone stated in my class that if i just 'halfed' the 100N and made it 50N acting upwards on each block, that would give the required unbalanced forces (ie 50 up, 19.6 down Fun= 30.4 which gives the 15.2 m/s/s). Is this just a coincidence with wrong physics, or the answer for some reason ?
Mark Rice

Homework Statement

The attached picture is essentially a little question a teacher gave me during revision today. It is not compulsary, but it is really irritating me not knowing how to do it. I'm sure it was made to be intentially hard as I was the only person given the problem. Can anyone shed light on this proof? The picture shows a pully style system, with an upward force of 100 N. I need to prove the acceleration of the 2 kg mass and the 5 kg mass (0.2 m/s/s and 15.2 m/s/s respectivly)

Homework Equations

Obviously it is worked out with F(unbalanced) = mass * Acceleration. And working backwords knowing the accelerations, i know that the unbalanced force to produce the required acceleration on each mass is 1 N for the 5 kg mass and 30.4 N for the 2kg mass. (Gravitational field strength = 9.8 m/s/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea at all, spent a double period (100 minutes) trying to work it out. I'm clearly either missing something incerdibly obvious and simple, or this question is outwith my knowledge capabilites?

Attachments

• Hard Physics Question.png
    Hard Physics Question.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Write an equation that relates all the forces up (100 N) to all the forces down. Forces down include items such as weights and Newton Second Law forces.

What you say about the tension on either side of the pulley?

Forget for the moment the answers you are given; just look at the physics. Start by looking at the forces on each block and on the pulley.

LawrenceC said:
Hint:

Write an equation that relates all the forces up (100 N) to all the forces down. Forces down include items such as weights and Newton Second Law forces.

What you say about the tension on either side of the pulley?

Well the total Unbalanced force of the system would be 31.4N i think (100-((2+5) * 9.8) =31.4 N and the tension on the right side would be 49 N and the left side would have the same tension ?

tms said:
Forget for the moment the answers you are given; just look at the physics. Start by looking at the forces on each block and on the pulley.

On each block there is the weight down and tension up ?

PS - someone stated in my class that if i just 'halfed' the 100N and made it 50N acting upwards on each block, that would give the required unbalanced forces (ie 50 up, 19.6 down Fun= 30.4 which gives the 15.2 m/s/s). Is this just a coincidence with wrong physics, or the answer for some reason ?

Mark Rice said:
On each block there is the weight down and tension up ?
Yes, and on the pulley ...

The tension on the left equals the tension on the right. So it's 50 N on each. What someone stated is indeed correct and not a coincidence with wrong physics.

If you equate the two tensions you'll have one equation with two unknown accelerations. The other equation comes from the summation of all forces in the whole system. It will also contain both accelerations as unknowns. So all you have to do is solve them simultaneously.

Either method is correct.

LawrenceC said:
The tension on the left equals the tension on the right. So it's 50 N on each. What someone stated is indeed correct and not a coincidence with wrong physics.

If you equate the two tensions you'll have one equation with two unknown accelerations. The other equation comes from the summation of all forces in the whole system. It will also contain both accelerations as unknowns. So all you have to do is solve them simultaneously.

Either method is correct.

Ahhhh, that's been annoying me all night, i think i kind of get it, thanks very much :)

1. What is higher level physics?

Higher level physics refers to a more advanced and in-depth understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of physics. It typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. How can I solve difficult physics problems at a higher level?

Solving difficult physics problems at a higher level requires a combination of understanding the underlying concepts and applying problem-solving techniques. It is important to break down the problem into smaller parts, draw diagrams, and use equations and formulas to find a solution.

3. What are some common challenges in higher level physics?

Some common challenges in higher level physics include understanding abstract concepts, working with complex mathematical equations, and applying theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios. Time management and developing critical thinking skills are also important for success in this subject.

4. How can I improve my understanding of higher level physics?

To improve your understanding of higher level physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or peers when needed. You can also supplement your learning by watching educational videos, reading textbooks or articles, and engaging in hands-on experiments.

5. What are some career options for those who study higher level physics?

Studying higher level physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, medicine, and technology. Some specific job roles may include physicist, aerospace engineer, data scientist, or medical physicist.