1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higher order partial derivatives

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Consider the partial di erential equation, (y4-x2)uxx - 2xyuxy - y2uyy = 1. We will make the substitution x = s2 - t2 and y = s - t, to simplify

(a) Solve for s and t as functions of x and y

the farthest point i got to was
    x = s^2 - t^2 = (s+t)(s-t) = y(s+t)
    y = s - t
    s+t = x/y

i don't know what to do after that.. i have the solution, but i have no idea how to get to it.
    the solution is
    s = x + y^2 / 2y
    t = x - y^2 / 2x

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi magnifik! :smile:

No, you're mssing the point …

that isn't the solution, it's just writing s and t in terms of x and y …

s+t = x/y, s-t = y, so 2s = x/y + y = (x + y2)/y, 2t = (x - y2)/y.

To get the solution, you need to find uss ust and utt (and I expect ust will be zero, which will make the solution fairly easy :wink:).

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    errr.. i meant the solution for part a, which was putting x and y in terms of s and t. thanks!

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    but i don't understand how you got from s+t = x/y, s-t = y to 2s and 2t...how did you combine the previous two equations to get that?

6. Jun 8, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Excuse me, tiny-tim, but the only question asked was "(a) Solve for s and t as functions of x and y".

Presumably, there is a "b" but so far all we want to do is solve for s and t.

magnifik, you have [itex]x= s^2- t^2[/itex] and [itex]y= s- t[/itex].

From [itex]y= s- t[/itex] you can say that [itex]s= y+ t[/itex] and, putting that into [itex]x=s^2- t^2[/itex], [itex]x= y^2+2yt+ t^2- t^2= y^2+ 2yt[/itex]. Solve that equation for t, then replace t by that expression in [itex]s= y+ t[/itex].

7. Jun 8, 2010 #6

THANK YOU!! makes so much sense now :)

8. Jun 8, 2010 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface: … I added, and subtracted!

Add s+t to s-t, you get 2s; subtract, you get 2t …

this is a common transformation, and you should be familiar with it. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?