• Thread starter Guidenable
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Given the matrix A=
-1/5 7/5
-3/5 -4/5

find A43.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's obvious that I can't go and actually compute A43 so there must be a more elegant way of doing this. The only notes I have on the subject is Ak=P-1DkP, where D is a diagonal matrix. However, I have no clue what P is supposed to to, nor why this would work in the first place.

Answers and Replies

phyzguy
Science Advisor
You're on the right track. If you've studied eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you should be able to calculate D and P.

I've never heard of eigenvalues or eigenvectors. I'm in a college level Linear Algebra I class, so I don't know if I should or not.

You need to have some understanding of eigenvalues and eigenvectors to be able to diagonalize a matrix. In your formula, the columns of matrix P are the eigenvectors of matrix A, and P-1 is the inverse of P. Matrix D is a diagonal matrix whose entries are the eigenvalues of A.

If you're expected to work a problem like this, there must be similar problems in your textbook, and some presentation of these ideas must have been given in class.

Ah ok, it's quite possible that the prof mentioned it but I missed it. Thanks for the link, I'll put it to good use.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Also, the eigenvalues for this particular matrix are complex numbers. That's going to make calculating the 43 power even more complicated. Fortunately, they both have modulus 1.