Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest point an object can travel?

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Can anyone (obviously someone can) tell me what the highest altitude an object in motion with no more potential energy to rise any further by itself can travel upward before it descends is called? I will appreciate your insight.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    The Epoch?

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    How is that term defined exactly in the context of my ? Sounds like that could be it if it is not that already. Would that be the most technical response?

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4
    What is it called when the weight of a rising object (+gravity) decelerates it as it loses kinetic energy?

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5
    Can you give more details about what you are looking for here?

7. Apr 28, 2010 #6
    Non-propulsion inertial resistance.

8. Apr 28, 2010 #7
    epoch: "the displacement from zero at zero time of a body undergoing simple harmonic motion."

So if you set your t_0 at the top of the curve then this would be your epoch :D

9. Apr 29, 2010 #8
    Acceleration/ deceleration due to gravity is the term I've always heard.

10. Apr 29, 2010 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ballistic Motion

11. Apr 29, 2010 #10
    Thats it!!

12. Apr 29, 2010 #11

Cleonis

Gold Member

For a satellite orbiting the Earth in an eccentric orbit the point of highest ascent is called the 'apogee'. See the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsis" [Broken] for the origin of that word.

Astronomy only has a word for the point of highest ascent in orbiting motion; to my knowledge there is no word for the case where an object is moving straight up. However, any free motion subject only to gravitation can be regarded as orbital motion.

Of course, in the case of straight upward motion the 'orbit' is extremely eccentric, and also the orbit is on a collision course with the Earth. Still, I think it's perfectly consistent to refer to the point of highest ascent as 'apogee'.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Apr 29, 2010 #12

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question is poorly posed, which is why no one has been able to give you a straight answer. I think what you're TRYING to ask is below:

The answer is there isn't really a uniform response, but most descriptive terms would center around apex or maximum height (or altitude).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook