1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hilbert space & orthogonal projection

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[SOLVED] Hilbert space & orthogonal projection

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let H be a real Hilbert space, C a closed convex non void subset of H, and a: H x H-->R be a continuous coercive bilinear form (i.e.
    (i) a is linear in both arguments
    (ii) There exists M [itex]\geq[/itex] 0 such that |a(x,y)| [itex]\leq[/itex] M||x|| ||y||
    (iii) There exists B>0 such that a(x,x) [itex]\geq[/itex] B||x||^2

(a) Show that the exists a continuous linear operator A:H-->H such that a(x,y)=(Ax,y) for all x,y in H.

(b) Let z be in H. Show that the exists a constant r>0 such that the operator T:C-->C defined by [itex]T(x)=P_C(rz-rAx+x)[/itex] is a contraction, i.e., ||T(x) - T(y)|| [itex]\leq[/itex] k||x - y|| for some constant k < 1. P_C is the operator "orthogonal projection on C", i.e. is the (unique) element of C such that [itex]d(z,P_C(z)) = d(z,C)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) is done. The operator in question is obtained via Riesz's representation theorem: we choose Ax to be the unique element of H such that a(x,y) = (Ax,y) for all y. Linearity and continuity of A follow from the corresponding properties of a.

(b) I already know that the orthogonal projection map is non expensive: for all x,y in H, [tex]||P_C(x) - P_C(y)|| \leq ||x - y||[/tex].

So [tex]||T(x) - T(y)|| \leq ||x-y-rAx+rAy||[/tex]

And here I've tried using every inequality I know but with no luck. Clearly, we need something stronger than the triangle inequality, because

[tex]||x-y-rAx+rAy||\leq ||x-y|| + r||A(x-y)||\leq (1+r||A||)||x-y||[/tex],

which is stricly greater than ||x - y||...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know whether the r used in the definition of T is the same r used in the defintion of a contraction mapping? E.g., I could have written ||T(x) - T(y)|| < k||x - y|| for some constant k < 1.

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are not necessarily the same constant! I apologize for the confusion and I have edited the OP. Thanks for pointing it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?