Hip Replacement: Personal Experiences & Recovery Stories

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around hip replacement surgery and the recovery process. Different individuals have had varying experiences, with some experiencing a relatively easy recovery while others faced complications. The success rate for this procedure is high, although there is a small risk of infection. The decision to undergo surgery should be based on how much the hip pain is affecting one's quality of life and the advice of a surgeon.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I may have to go for a hip replacement, has anyone had one? what was the recovery like?

Physics news on Phys.org
My wife has had both hips replaced. It's a real pain but you get over it. Recovery takes months, with lots of physical therapy involved. Her first one was much worse than the second one and the doc said that's not uncommon. There is lot of variability in the recovery process, even for the same person.

My dad had a hip replacement last March (a year and a half ago). I probably had a worse day than he did: i slipped on ice while shoveling his driveway and may have fractured my tailbone. Couldn't sit right for months. They had him walking that day and he was playing golf in April. Skiing this past winter. Personally, I think he resisted getting it done for too long.

Wow i am even more afraid than ever to get mine done now, it is not too bad at the moment , just a dull ache all the time and the odd twinge.

My friend that I do long hikes with (3 to 10 days and up to 55 miles) had a hip replacement two or three years ago. He was back doing fairly long hikes within about three months. Neither of us is a young buck - he's 62 and I'm a bit older.

My area of research concerns hip replacements and whilst I can't comment on your individual case (or any specific one given that I'm not a doctor) it might put your mind at ease to know that they are one of the most successful and safe procedures out there. Off the top of my head I believe immediate success rate is over >95%, the ten year number is 90% and at twenty years the success rate is still 80%.

Recovery times differ but the majority of patients gain a significant increase in mobility and an overall increase in their quality of life. There is a small risk of infection (my specific area of research) which can lead to a long period of recovery and revision surgery but for the USA this risk is <2%. Long story short: going by the odds you are about to undergo a very safe procedure that will improve your ability to walk, dance, run or whatever physical activity you care to occupy yourself with.

I'm not sure if there is an option these days, but my dad had a version where no ligaments/tendons get cut, which makes recovery much easier than a knee replacement.

I have the dull ache and twinge. At 63, I might be too old, but the VA would be deciding that I suppose.

Recovery depends on how difficult the surgery is but both the surgical techniques, pain management and post op management are improving all the time.
Remember that for the vast majority of people the surgery is very straight forward and surgeons have had lots of practice in getting it right. It may be that getting surgery before it becomes worse is a good idea, the area around the hip is less damaged. In the end its down to how badly its effecting your life, what you say to the surgeon will guide his advice.

Thank you for all the replies, i am still in two minds, according to the posts here three months recovery time seems a whole lot, how ever getting it done before it gets too bad sounds a good ides.

Plotus said:
I have the dull ache and twinge. At 63, I might be too old, but the VA would be deciding that I suppose.

Plotus, 63 is no age at all decide now and get on to the VA about it.

1. What is the recovery process like after a hip replacement surgery?

The recovery process after a hip replacement surgery can vary for each individual, but typically involves staying in the hospital for a few days, followed by several weeks of physical therapy and rehabilitation. Patients may experience some pain, swelling, and stiffness in the hip area, but these symptoms usually improve over time with proper care and medication.

2. How long does it take to fully recover from a hip replacement?

The time it takes to fully recover from a hip replacement can vary, but most patients are able to resume normal activities within 3 to 6 months. However, it can take up to a year for the hip to fully heal and for the patient to regain full strength and range of motion.

3. What are some common challenges or difficulties during the recovery process?

Some common challenges or difficulties during the recovery process may include pain and discomfort, difficulty walking or standing for extended periods of time, and muscle weakness in the hip area. In some cases, complications such as infection or dislocation may also occur, which can prolong the recovery process.

4. What can I do to ensure a successful recovery from a hip replacement?

To ensure a successful recovery from a hip replacement, it is important to follow the instructions and recommendations of your doctor and physical therapist. This may include performing exercises to strengthen the hip muscles, avoiding certain activities that may put too much strain on the hip, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and regular exercise.

5. What can I expect in terms of pain and mobility after a hip replacement?

In the first few weeks after a hip replacement, patients may experience some pain and discomfort, but this should gradually improve over time. Most patients are able to walk with a cane or walker within a few days of the surgery, and their mobility should continue to improve with physical therapy and rehabilitation. However, it is important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard during the recovery process.