Historic temperature data in New York/Greenwich on small and large time scales

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Alain De Vos
Messages
35
Reaction score
1
Hey, I'm interested in temperature recordings for the last 10 years but also for an estimate in the last billion years, this for hobby and fun. There are a lot of public sources but problem is many sites are torn down and others are created, so I feel very in the wild, it's like finding a tree in a forest.
Which site, which credentials exist at : 2019/02/20 :)
Thanks for any direction.
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Alain De Vos said:
Hey, I'm interested in temperature recordings for the last 10 years

that should be easy with archived recordings from the local MET office
Alain De Vos said:
but also for an estimate in the last billion years,

probably impossible for anything more than 150 - 200 years into the past
 
Alain De Vos said:
last billion years,

Dana L. Royer did an estimation of the radiative forcing during the Phanerozoic in "CO2-forced climate thresholds during the Phanerozoic". Besides this I don't know something going even before this.
 
Alain De Vos said:
Hey, I'm interested in temperature recordings for the last 10 years but also for an estimate in the last billion years, this for hobby and fun. There are a lot of public sources but problem is many sites are torn down and others are created, so I feel very in the wild, it's like finding a tree in a forest.
Which site, which credentials exist at : 2019/02/20 :)
Thanks for any direction.
I cannot speak to the billion years, but the last decade of New York, is covered fairly well by
NOAA's climate at a glance.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/city/time-series
 
For the long-term temperature record, this Wikipedia page is a good place to start. It has estimates on several different time scales, although it only goes back a half billion years.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Alain De Vos said:
Hey, I'm interested in temperature recordings for the last 10 years but also for an estimate in the last billion years, this for hobby and fun. There are a lot of public sources but problem is many sites are torn down and others are created, so I feel very in the wild, it's like finding a tree in a forest.
Which site, which credentials exist at : 2019/02/20 :)
Thanks for any direction.
https://web.archive.org/web/2012022...geochem_cycles/reading_list/sigman_nat_00.pdf

CO2 levels too if you are interested in the correlation
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Genava